Ford Forums banner

wheel size for AU

9K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Jamie XR6 
#1 ·
what size wheels are legal and will fit an AU? i was thinking of running 235/40/18 wheels all round and thought why not even go 245/35/19. will these wheels fit without too much hassle and are 19" legal?

#2 ·
HOTDBZ has some rather large wheels on his AU XR6. find out if insurance are fine with em first ;)

#4 ·
I can't speak for all insurance companies - in fact I can't speak for any of them - but generally, you are allowed to go 2" up in diameter and 1" wider than the standard wheel fitted to the car. In the case of an AU2, 18 x 8 is probably it, as the standard wheel was a 16 x 7 - the 17 x 8 was an option. These are RTA rules, and most insurance companies will insure you if the car passes RTA inspection (in respect of wheels).

#5 ·
I have tears in my eyes just thinking about the cost of rubber on 19's...

I would have thought 19's would kill any ride quality that you have. I would stick with 18's - more rubber available (especially with SS / XR8 etc now having optional 18's) and probably just more rims to choose from as well . . .

Still, they would probably look amazing :) Just remember to get some bad ass lock nuts to go with them !

#7 ·
#10 ·
18" is the largest legal diameter on an AU. 9" is the widest legal width. But you won't fit 9" wide on the front, rear only.

IMO 17" is the best compromise - you can still get 9" for the rears in a 17" wheel, and tyres are cheaper and ride quality is better and tyres are less likely to suffer damage.

#11 ·
My insurance company said that they will insure one inch larger than the largest optional wheel for my car.

I run 17 x 9s at the rear (255/45/17) and 17 x 8s at the front (235/40/17)

I agree with Q777, you could probably go with 10" at the rear but I'm pretty sure you would need an engineers report to do so in NSW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.