Wheel Vibration - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2002, 16:53   #1 (permalink)
XR Wannabee

Wheel Vibration

Hey guys, just a quick question...

Just in the last week or so my steering wheel has developed a pretty rough vibration when travelling at freeway speeds (100-110). I am pretty certain it just needs to have the wheels balanced but is there anything else that might be causing it?

The reason I ask is that I had the wheels off the other day to sand the brake pads and discs to try and get rid of a bloody annoying break squeal (didn't help!) All the wheel nuts are tight and everything, but is there anything stupid I could have done that may have caused it?

Thanks fellas

95' EF Falcon Series II
Spinksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2002, 16:55   #2 (permalink)

Wheel alignment, uneven wear across the tyre tread
smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 17:55   #3 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

I was having the same thing and I got my wheels balanced and aligned and it fixed it for the most part but there is still a slight shake of the steering wheel at ~110 km/h.

Since I don't do much highway driving it doesn't bother me that much.
Off-white EL Series II Falcon GLi Sapphire (4.0L Slothmatic™) with K&N Filtercharger, Tickford Sports Suspension, DBA Longlife Gold (front), DBA Longlife Slotted (rear) and Bendix Ultimates all round. Driven by The Slothman™.

Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, or the Ford Forums Food Bandits, where cruising, eating and talking shite is what it's all about. Click here to visit the official (albeit slightly outdated) website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team GT Media
We love having 3FB Inc guys around!
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 18:10   #4 (permalink)
XR Wannabee

I only recently had the wheels aligned (about 2 weeks ago) so I think that they will probably just need to be balanced. I'm going away this weekend so I don't want to put up with this wheel shake for a three hour trip :crazy1:

95' EF Falcon Series II
Old 05-07-2002, 18:18   #5 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Could be wheel bearing tension...could be loose..

COuld be ball joits, tie rod ends as well
Old 05-07-2002, 18:23   #6 (permalink)

Just a though, did the do the wheel alignment properly if you only exerperienced it, since you had the alignment done.
smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 18:26   #7 (permalink)
XR Wannabee

Nah, it was fine after I first got the wheel alignment done (actually it was probably about 3 weeks ago now)

I had the wheels off last week and it has pretty much been since then that it has had a problem. I might just try taking the wheels off and on again just in case they did not go back on properly? Dunno how they could go back on wrongly tho?? :oo1:

95' EF Falcon Series II
Old 05-07-2002, 20:01   #8 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Pretty much the only fix for brake squeel is having the discs machined - but one thing you can try first is to just do a couple of really hard pull-ups from reasonable speed (100 or so) - I've found that to work when slight squeeling under light braking starts to happen.

With the wheel shudder - did you ever have the wheels on-car balanced? - if that's ben done then you may now have one or both wheels out of position compared to where it's all been balanced to.

Apart from that, all you can try is to jack it back up then undo each wheel and move it one hole round - and maybe try swapping them side-for-side (as long as they're not directional).

This might seem like a dumb question and I expect you probably already know all this, but did you gently snug all the nuts before finally tightening them? If you just laid into them one at a time the wheel might end up not quite sitting right (it's also good practice to tighten the nuts in an "opposite pairs" pattern - or as near to as possible with 5 nuts anyway).
EDFUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 20:11   #9 (permalink)
XR Wannabee

Thanks EDFUTURA,

Yeah I figured the discs would need to be machined but I thought I would give sanding the pads and discs ago just in case.

I can't remember how they were balanced last time so rotating them could be worth a shot. And yeahi did do them up lightly using the "opposite pairs" pattern before doing them up tight once the car was back on the ground.

95' EF Falcon Series II
Old 05-07-2002, 20:24   #10 (permalink)
Ford Europe Wannabe

spinksy,

i had a similar problem whereby my steering wheel wobbled and vibrated, especially when i put the brakes on.

New tyres (the old ones were unevenly worn out) and a wheel balance and it is perfect!
TurboDOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes