Ford Forums banner

Wheels on XB,XB,XC ... size question.

16K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Leotr 
#1 ·
am planning on running my 17x8 Simmons FR's on My XB coupe. just wondering what width rubber you guys are running on the front... and how low your car is. i want rubber inside the guards on the front ... what do you guys recomend?

#2 ·
The Wheels on my XB aren't any where near that big. They are 15" x 7" Globe Bathurst with 225/60 ZR15 Tyres.

I have seen an XA Hardtop with 17" x 9" (235/45ZR17) and 17" x 11" (275/40ZR17) fitted and they filled up the wheel arches very well without fouling the body work.

#3 ·
Hey there

I've got 15" x 8" Welds on mine - 245's up front and 295's down the rear.
They look fantastic but that width tire on that sized rim is a little too baggy from a performance perspective. The fronts don't touch the guards at all, but the rear guards have been rolled. I purchased the old girl wearing those and will probably change to a larger diameter/narroer width at some stage down the track.
How low? She's been dropped 2", which looks pretty mean with those big fat tyres on her.

Love to see a pic if you've got one

#4 ·
xbcoupe said:
Hey there

I've got 15" x 8" Welds on mine - 245's up front and 295's down the rear.
They look fantastic but that width tire on that sized rim is a little too baggy from a performance perspective. The fronts don't touch the guards at all, but the rear guards have been rolled. I purchased the old girl wearing those and will probably change to a larger diameter/narroer width at some stage down the track.
How low? She's been dropped 2", which looks pretty mean with those big fat tyres on her.

Love to see a pic if you've got one
Isn't a 265 the widest tyre you can legally fit on an 8" rim? Besides, it would squirm around and handle very badly.

#5 ·
Smciner1

You're probably right about the legality aspect and definitely right about the "squirm" factor. When I first got her I didn't know much about cars but just knew I had to have an XB coupe, so bought the best looking one I had ever seen - costly as she looked great but was pretty rooted. It had 2" lowering blocks at the rear and the butcher I bought it from had just "hacksawed" the front springs to bring the front down !! All the shocks were completely gone, and every rubber up under her was rooted - right down to the factory original ball joints still in the car. On those tyres going round a roundabout, it wagged its bum like a fat labrador pleased to see it's owner! Those tyres look like big balloons on the rims and I don't know an awful lot about it but I would think that it would be dangerous to push her through any twisty bits.
I am about to get her back from the shop, having replace ALL rubbers, bushes, ball joints (nolathane by the way),new shocks, reset rear springs (into the bin with the lowering blocks), new front springs, front & rear h/d sway bars etc etc etc - can't wait for the bill !!!!!
It will be very interesting to see how she performs/rides after all the work, but I'm sure I'm going to have to change my rim/tyre combo because of the baggy or squirm factor as you put it.
Would you have any suggestions for me on that front? This site is really my only source of education on such issues, so I would appreciate your input.

#6 ·
Sounds like you are going to go about it the right way and loose all the dodgey stuff.

#8 ·
Yeah i will post some pics when they get developed. And isnt 245's as wide as you can go leagaly on a 8inch rim. Ive been told that by my mate at Quick fit. I know 255's and 265's fit easy.

#9 ·
I have an XB Coupe and I found the following wheels on ebay.com.au The seller lists them as Cheviot Hurricanes and they are 14 x 7's. I'd like to know if any forum members have seen a similar wheel in a 15 inch that would accept 265 or 275 tyres. I have not had any luck finding a similar wheel from any of the new manufacturers. These wheels look very outdated, but as soon as I saw them I realized this is the look that I am after. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I posted the wheels under my Login Name.

eBay Australia: CHEVIOT MAGS/ALLOY WHEELS FORD FALCON XA-XB-XC-XD-XE-XF (item 280059639880, end time 19-Dec-06 00:51:50 AEDST)

#10 ·
Leotr said:
I have an XB Coupe and I found the following wheels on ebay.com.au The seller lists them as Cheviot Hurricanes and they are 14 x 7's. I'd like to know if any forum members have seen a similar wheel in a 15 inch that would accept 265 or 275 tyres. I have not had any luck finding a similar wheel from any of the new manufacturers. These wheels look very outdated, but as soon as I saw them I realized this is the look that I am after. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I posted the wheels under my Login Name.

eBay Australia: CHEVIOT MAGS/ALLOY WHEELS FORD FALCON XA-XB-XC-XD-XE-XF (item 280059639880, end time 19-Dec-06 00:51:50 AEDST)
Those wheels are way over priced, i seen some Hurricanes a couple of months ago on ebay sell for $50 for 4 wheels and they were 14 X 8".
I had some 14 X 7" Huricanes on my XB sedan years ago, i got them for free with another car i bought, i drove around with them on until the tyres burnt out:priest:. In my opinion they never looked deep enough in the dish or big enough in diameter.
I would have included a picture but the upload keeps failing.

#13 ·
From what I have read in the forum pages, the 245/60/14's on an 8 inch rim should not create an interference problem with the rear guards, and the 245's and 8 inch seem to be a good wheel and tyre match.

Has anyone any experience with 255/60/14's or 265/50/14's on a 10 inch rim? Will I have interference problems with the rear guards on my XB coupe.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tony.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.