widest 15" Weld Draglites for XY wagon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2004, 07:13   #1 (permalink)
351 XE on LPG

widest 15" Weld Draglites for XY wagon

My son's looking to fill the arches of his XY wagon.

He's always liked the look of Weld Racing Draglites. I'm thinking maybe 15x8 up front and 15x10 at the back. http://www.weldracing.com/Weld_Racin..._draglite.shtm

Any suggestions from your experience as to realistic rim width limits.

Also, does anybody know if there are different offsets available?

He's also going to have the front and rear lips folded back so as to be able to squeeze as much rubber underneath as possible. He's not into those ultra low profile tyres, so will probably be looking at a 50 and 60 series tyre combo to raise the rear end just a tad.
Rhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2004, 05:10   #2 (permalink)

Re: widest 15" Weld Draglites for XY wagon

Here are some pics of our XY Wagon with 14x10" 12 slotters fitted with 265/50-14 BFGs on the back.

http://www.ftw.com.au/cpg/thumbnails...lbum=37&page=6

The wheels are stamped FoMoCo on the inside of the rim, so I guess they are from an XA-XC hardtop?

Funny thing is that they seem to stick out a bit on the left but not the right - they were exactly the same on our XY ute too...

I haven't tried swapping them left to right to check whether it is the wheels having different offset or not.

I am wondering if it is possible to install the diff a little off centre using the play on the diff/spring connection...
ZC-Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 05:22   #3 (permalink)

You can get 10"" rims on an X.Y. very easily . Draglites come in backspaceing"s of 3.5 4.5 5.5 and 6.5 inches .
Ideal backspace for X.Y.'s is 5.25 inches. If you have the original width X.Y. diff , use the 5.5" backspace , with a quarter inch spacer between wheel and brake drum , with a 265 x 50 x 15 or 275 x 50 x15 and they will fall on .
Check your wheel studs are long enough , you might need to fit longer studs , I use standard X.E. , X.F. studs , as these are about .25'' longer than X.Y. studs .

Regards .
460BBXW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 05:32   #4 (permalink)

Hi tuffzc ,
You are right about the wheels sticking out more on the left than the right , you will find this happens on most" Leaf Spring " rear end Falcon and Fairlanes .
Ford offset the Diff's slightly more to the left than the right . This is suppose to be be
because the left is closer to the Kerbside .

Regards.
Old 07-13-2004, 15:35   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460BBXW
Hi tuffzc ,
You are right about the wheels sticking out more on the left than the right , you will find this happens on most" Leaf Spring " rear end Falcon and Fairlanes .
Ford offset the Diff's slightly more to the left than the right . This is suppose to be be
because the left is closer to the Kerbside .

Regards.
Why does the kerbside need to have the wheel poking out more??
Old 07-13-2004, 15:37   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
If you have the original width X.Y. diff , use the 5.5" backspace , with a quarter inch spacer between wheel and brake drum , with a 265 x 50 x 15 or 275 x 50 x15 and they will fall on .
I am pretty sure that spacers are illegal (at least in Queensland)
Old 07-14-2004, 03:12   #7 (permalink)

don't know why , just that FORD made " Leaf Spring " cars like this in Australia , I have measured a lot of cars to compare and they are ALL the same , maybe they are offset to the right in U.S.A. ........can any american members tell us ?

About the spacers .......if you are going to fit 10" rims on an X.Y. .....isn't that a lot MORE illegal than a coupe of 1/2" spacers...... a LOT of us Run 10" rims in QLD.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:06   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
About the spacers .......if you are going to fit 10" rims on an X.Y. .....isn't that a lot MORE illegal than a coupe of 1/2" spacers...... a LOT of us Run 10" rims in QLD.
I don't think so - spacers can cause the wheel to work loose - no-one has anything good to say about that...

Fitting 10" wheels legally in QLD should be no problem - all you need is a mod plate for them. (and the increased track dimension)
Old 07-14-2004, 04:32   #9 (permalink)

have you seen a wheel work loose , because of spacers?....if so .....how does it cause it ?
Old 07-14-2004, 04:44   #10 (permalink)

I've been using spacers on wheels for the last 25 years , on Drag cars and street cars , only time I've seen a wheel come loose , is when somebody forgot to tighten the wheel nuts up .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes