Will shorter shocks effect ride height?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2004, 11:51   #1 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

Will shorter shocks effect ride height??

I've installed a set of super low king springs all round with gt monroe gas shocks a few months ago. I've given it heaps of time to settle and while the arse end of my car was perfect almost straight away, the front is still very high compared to other cars with the same springs. I went down to pedders and they told me that installing shorter shocks should lower the car a further 30cm to what it is now and bring it to how it should sit. I just want to know if it will really make a difference to the ride height, as I know of many people who have kept the standard height shocks and with superlows and there ride height is waay lower than mine. It's just a biatch that I've forked out the money for these gt monroes and have barely used them (a little over a month of driving), only to haveto buy another set of shocks which may or may not make a difference to the ride height.

What should I do?? It's not such a big deal if I know it'll DEFINATELY fix the ride height, it's just that I've seen alot of evidence that contradicts what pedders have told me....

Old 05-24-2004, 12:12   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Re: Will shorter shocks effect ride height??

Shocks can lower a car but it's not a recommended way of doing it. I went from Kings with stock shocks to the same with lowered shocks and noticed no difference in ride height. It sounds like Pedders want to sell their ultra-expensive shortened shocks, which are probably designed to compliment super-low springs. I was quoted well over a grand for a full set-up like that.
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 13:34   #3 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

I have another set of grey springs that was found at a wrecker. I showed both my current "superlows" aswell as the grey springs to pedders so they can tell me which of the two would sit lower, and they told me the grey ones would most likely be about 1cm lower. Here's a pic of the two side by side.

Can anyone confirm this?? Not that i'm really an expert, but would the fact that the coils are thicker on the grey springs aswell as the fact that there is one more coil than the superlows indicate that they would actually sit higher? As I said I've got little knowledge on this stuff. The springs are pretty much identical in length. Does anyone actually know what brand of springs these are by looking at them??

i've got a sneaking suspiscion in the back of my mind that tells me the origional springs I purchased are not superlows at all and are infact lows. Is there any chance at all anyone can confirm this simply by looking at the picture????

Here's a pic of the car with the springs when they were freshly installed

This really doesn't look like superlows to me. Remember that the boot has a hell of alot of weight in it aswell, which although came up quite well, would easily sit about 1cm or more higher when all the audio gear is removed. Somebody tell me this is all in my head, as I really feel like punching someone now....
Old 05-24-2004, 14:08   #4 (permalink)
Love having 3 peddles

If you want to know if it is all in your head, measure from the bottom of your front door to the ground and do the same at the rear. That will tell you if the car is sitting level. I have super lows in mine and I have to get the front ones reset as they don't sit right, need to come down about a half inch. I am running GT gas also, so I don't know if the shortened shocks will change anything.
When is the car going to be complete any update pics?
Old 05-24-2004, 14:21   #5 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunns
When is the car going to be complete any update pics?
The car is slowly making progress. Once I sort out what I'm doing with the front suspesion, then the whole front of the car will come back together very quickly, but until then, it really is on halt till I figure this out and also find some good condition firewall insulation before I put the motor in. I haven't made any progress in the last week though as I had run out of money up until today, and it seems that I will be at the mercy of my paycheque for the next few weeks. I am reluctant to show "progress" pics as it looks like I haven't actually made any progress at all.
Old 05-25-2004, 18:52   #6 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

After thinking about it more after we spoke Steven, its hard for you to check how high ur car sits cos its not really in one piece lol

Try find a parts place that has the superlows in stock and do a measure up there. Those grey springs look like the might sit a bit lower, but its hard to say

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 18:52   #7 (permalink)
EA-S MPI 5-Speed

hey,
well with whatever you do, i am interested in both the front shocks and/or 4 springs (if you got them) so when u decide whats going on, ill buy whats left =)
BoZZa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 18:56   #8 (permalink)
{';'}

Hmmm the rear sits similar to mine but then again you have a lot of weight in the back, whilst the front is rather high... I'd be guessing they're lows as opposed to superlows (at least the fronts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 19:19   #9 (permalink)
w w w .eafalcon. c o m

chop a coil off ?

they don't look like superlows to me, sit's about the same height as my EA.. possibly higher at the front.
Old 05-25-2004, 19:21   #10 (permalink)
Fu(kn Slow & Low

did you say the motor is out of the car??? if that pic was taken with the motor out of the car then its about right, with a motor in it should sit abit lower (atleast an inch or so). shocks i believe dont make any difference to ride height just to bouncyness of the car, ive got standard shocks with kings superlows (thats what the tag reads but the back is still high, nothing three spare tyres and a full tank of gas cant fix ) i actually asked my boss while i was a mechanic and he said that it doesnt make a difference in ride height. they most probably want to sell you expensive shocks and then take your front springs and get them reset about anoth half an inch. they could have been tagged wrong like my rears???
White 1988 EA Fairmont Ghia ~ Gassed ~ EF camshaft ~ Lowered on super low king springs (not low enough) ~ 2.5inch cat back exhaust system with one muffler ~ Clear indicators ~ Simota POD filter ~ New head built for gas ~ 3.23 open wheeler diff ~ EF XR 16inch rims ~ pioneer deck and rear speakers ~ sony front speakers ~ kyb shocks

driving a 3 speed auto with no second gear!!!
Need PSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes