XA Falcon braking - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2005, 00:43   #1 (permalink)

XA Falcon braking

I am wondering about the effectiveness of the brakes on my XA 351
It has XC booster, master cylinder and rear 9inch discs, Front has XF callipers.
The wheels do not lock up under heaving braking no matter how hard the push, do I have a problem? Should the wheels lock up?
Thanks
northiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2005, 02:30   #2 (permalink)

Re: XA Falcon braking

well sort of yes in a way. what sort of engine vacuum do you have to start with? what pads are you using?
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 02:39   #3 (permalink)

11 inches of vaccum with standard pads
Old 11-21-2005, 03:02   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by northiam
11 inches of vaccum with standard pads
tha vacuum is your problem, i would say without looking at the vehicle. the booster to work at its best requires a text book 17-21" of vauum. does your booster hold vacuum when car is not running? is your one way valve working? with this amount of vacuum you will probably never get your car to lock up at all. you would be better off with drums on the rear as they dont require a booster they are self energizing.
my enginner is requiring me to run disc on the rear as well, i have explained to him this point when using a low vac engine. but the guidelines set out require this upgrade(downgrade) and it is not correct for the application intended.
you can use a vac tank to increase your booster storage, but this will not help it will only give a few more applications before recovery time. if you use one of these also make sure there is a one-way valve between tank and manifold port.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:55   #5 (permalink)

Yes the booster holds vacuum for a longtime after the engine is off. So do all modded engine cars have this problem?
Old 11-22-2005, 04:13   #6 (permalink)

biggrin Re: XA Falcon braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by northiam
Yes the booster holds vacuum for a longtime after the engine is off. So do all modded engine cars have this problem?
pretty much sadly. i will check tomorrow i forgot today if you change the reactionary disc pad in the booster, this may give you a bit better pedal feel. i am pretty sure it wont help though. the vac is low does it have a large cam. what sort of timing is in it iniataly is it set up correct? i know it probably is. note where your timing is at, at idle and put vac gauge on and advance dizzy and see if vac reading goes up or not.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:05   #7 (permalink)

Question Re: XA Falcon braking

With regards to manifold vacuum pressure, where is a good location on the cleveland to tap this from?

thanks
Henry's XAGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 13:46   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's XAGT
With regards to manifold vacuum pressure, where is a good location on the cleveland to tap this from?

thanks
Depends on the manifold you have but generally at the base of the carb or booster connection you have vacuum.

I'm looking into a vacuum pump system as a min 16" vac is required for proper booster operation.

Which lends me to wonder! Whats the point in huge brake upgrades 4 pot capilers etc if you dont have the vacuum, the brakes will never perform to their potential!
Old 11-25-2005, 17:19   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's XAGT

thanks
Give serious thought to adding a small vacuum tank and you might have some advantage changing the booster pad .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes