Ford Forums banner

XBGT 4 Door 15' Tyre Sizes & Offset

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  xbgs351 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I just picked up a set of 15x8 Performance Rims (GT Globe copies) with 265/50's on the rear, & 235/60's on the front.

The problem is the rears rub on the lip of the guard, but there is a bucket of room on the inside (approx 3')

The front is the same, but the tyres also foul on the rear of the inner guard when turning tightly.

My guess is the offset is wrong, but the dealer is saying what I have is correct.

My only choice is the trim the rear lip down, & switch to a smaller tyre in the front.

Does anyout out there have similar sizes on a XA-XC? Does anyone know the correct offset for this car/tyre size combination?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

#2 ·
I have 15 x 8" Superlites which are made by the same company. They have the same offset. Mine are on an XB Hardtop.

I have 225/60R15 on all corners. I have a ton of room at the rear. Front looks o.k but I have yet to drive it.

235's hitting on the rear of the inner guard is not uncommon. Try giving the car some more castor. I run 3.5 degrees.

Also ditch the 235's. They must be T/A's or 352's which are outdated tyres. Get some A539's or the BFG G-Force Sports. Same applies for the rear. Get some Sumitomo HTR2000's. Don't go wider than 255.

#4 ·
travis_ham said:
dude... 225's on the back of a coupe? ... thats almost a sin.
You should have seen it with 215's on 6" rims. The poor Commodore drivers at Winton didn't understand how it could handle so well with so little tyre.

225's are not that narrow when on 8" rims. Put a tape measure across them and they are 9.5" wide.

I would love to go wider, but there are no suitable tyres on the market. The 255/60R15 Sumitomo HTR2000 are meant to be good, but they are only S rated tyres.

By sticking with 225's I can rotate my tyres, and use road legal race rubber in the same size, without having to change my swaybar and brake balance settings. 225's may sound narrow, but the Mustang boys can lift both inner wheels with them.

#5 ·
tonymtber said:
Hi all,

I just picked up a set of 15x8 Performance Rims (GT Globe copies) with 265/50's on the rear, & 235/60's on the front.

The problem is the rears rub on the lip of the guard, but there is a bucket of room on the inside (approx 3')

The front is the same, but the tyres also foul on the rear of the inner guard when turning tightly.

My guess is the offset is wrong, but the dealer is saying what I have is correct.

My only choice is the trim the rear lip down, & switch to a smaller tyre in the front.

Does anyout out there have similar sizes on a XA-XC? Does anyone know the correct offset for this car/tyre size combination?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
i had exactly the same problem with the same wheels. i rolled the lips up (cringe) and they still rubbed, even with a 225/60. the same wheel and tyre combo fitted on a xb coupe perfectly. i believe the offset is just too big for sedans. the only way you can put 8jj or larger is going to someone who can customise your offset or chop the lip off (very undesirable for a genuine gt chassis)
i ended up putting 14x7jj slotters with 225/65 tyres on and havn't had any problems. in the future i will probably go for 15x7 with 225/60 all round. my problem is i like globes but every man and his dog has them, so i'm thinking of these:

#8 ·
nak302 said:
i had exactly the same problem with the same wheels. i rolled the lips up (cringe) and they still rubbed, even with a 225/60. the same wheel and tyre combo fitted on a xb coupe perfectly. i believe the offset is just too big for sedans. the only way you can put 8jj or larger is going to someone who can customise your offset or chop the lip off (very undesirable for a genuine gt chassis)
i ended up putting 14x7jj slotters with 225/65 tyres on and havn't had any problems. in the future i will probably go for 15x7 with 225/60 all round. my problem is i like globes but every man and his dog has them, so i'm thinking of these:
I know what you mean with the Globes, but to keep it on club rego, the rims have to be an original looking style.....otherwise I would have gone for some Simmons or similar to get the offset & size that I wanted.

I've got a custom wheel maker to machinie 3-5mm off the inside of the rears & hopefully this should solve the rear problem.

For the front I'm getting a pair of second hand 225/60's to try & see how they go. If there are still problems (hopefully not), then I can lift the front about 10-15mm if need be.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Tony

#10 ·
I'm running +2 & +1.6 castor & - 1.2 Camber on both sides.

The rears just fit under & there is no contact now I've had the rims machined down a bit.

The 225's are fine on the front so I'll get a new pair to go on the front.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Cheers

Tony

#11 ·
tonymtber said:
I'm running +2 & +1.6 castor & - 1.2 Camber on both sides.

The rears just fit under & there is no contact now I've had the rims machined down a bit.

The 225's are fine on the front so I'll get a new pair to go on the front.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Cheers

Tony
Tony for future reference how much was machined off the wheels? and now there is no contact did you roll the guard lips up? or was the machining enough for clearance?
i reckon a 245/60 would be a nice size for the rear.

#14 ·
15 x 8 Performance Globes don't have a Falcon offset , they are made with a Hilux offset . You will notice the centre section is bigger in Diameter than original 15 x 7 Globes ,this is to cater for 5 and 6 stud 4x4's . The maker drills the centre section to suit the p.c.d. ( pitch circle diameter ) for whatever vehicle the wheels have been ordered for . ( you just have to live with the offset if you want the Globe look )
The offset on these wheels is 3.75" . A 225 x 50 x 15 is an ideal fitment for the front in your circumstances . I have a couple for sale if you are interested , as new .

You can fit your wheels to the rear without modifying your guards with an X.Y. Diff , this moves the wheel/tyre inboard 1" and still run your 265 x 50 x 15 tyre .This is a more profesional way to go .

Cheers .

#15 ·
So many questions......

Tyres are BFG Radial T/A's....yep an old outdated style, but they match the era of this vehicle.

Approx 3mm came of the inside off the rim. To fit the 265's the guard lip was "neatly" modified to accomodate the large tyre.

Changing the rear was not an option as it is a GT with original tags on the diff housing.

Performance only make 2 different offsets for these rims. Code 9M which is close enough to a zero offset for passenger cars. Code 25N (I think) which is 25mm offset to suit 4wd's

Thanks for all the input once again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.