XC Suspension, swaybars - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2004, 18:39   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
XC Coupe 78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Adelaide
Age: 28
Posts: 560
XC Suspension, swaybars

Hi all

I'm just looking for ideas on what sort of setup I should put in the front end of my coupe. I'm looking for fast and accurate cornering with little body roll and generally a lot better handling than how they are standard.(Fat, waddling cow). I'm also thinking about deleting the power steering, but we'll see. I was thinking Nolathane throughout with a 1 inch Selby's swaybar. Is this heavy enough or should a get a heavier swaybar? I'm a bit clueless in the suspension field of things, no idea how one thing affects another. Anything else ive missed?

Cheers

Daniel
XC Coupe 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-03-2004, 14:44   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The 'Gong
Posts: 94
Re: XC Suspension, swaybars

Don't get rid of the power steering unless it's a race car - even then I wouldn't do it!!

I have used between 24mm and 27mm sways on my old coupe. It also depends on the wheel rim width you are using and the profile of the tyres you plan to run. I would even consider a 30mm front bar but also then run a rear bar as the back end of the coupe has a mind of it's own (at least stiffen the rear springs with extra leaves). I think great advantage can be gained from using a shock tower brace bar as well. The coupes towers do flex a bit and the tighter they are the better. Good luck with it, I had my coupe for 14 years and it never handled the way I would have liked, except on 10 inch wide rims.
75Hardtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 18:16   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
xbgs351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,067
Re: XC Suspension, swaybars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Hardtop
Don't get rid of the power steering unless it's a race car - even then I wouldn't do it!!

I have used between 24mm and 27mm sways on my old coupe. It also depends on the wheel rim width you are using and the profile of the tyres you plan to run. I would even consider a 30mm front bar but also then run a rear bar as the back end of the coupe has a mind of it's own (at least stiffen the rear springs with extra leaves). I think great advantage can be gained from using a shock tower brace bar as well. The coupes towers do flex a bit and the tighter they are the better. Good luck with it, I had my coupe for 14 years and it never handled the way I would have liked, except on 10 inch wide rims.
That's a big rear bar. I'm running approx 29mm front with no rear bar.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 06:01   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 47
Re: XC Suspension, swaybars

maybe try the "shelby" modification of lowering your top A arm... this thread brought it up handling upgrades?
mada_3083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 17:43   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The 'Gong
Posts: 94
Re: XC Suspension, swaybars

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
That's a big rear bar. I'm running approx 29mm front with no rear bar.
Those were all front bars - the rear bar was 16mm from memory.
75Hardtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 09:12   #6 (permalink)
Pro-M Distributor
 
MrLandau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Adelaide (SA) & Manjimup (WA)
Age: 41
Posts: 401
Re: XC Suspension, swaybars

You want it to really handle throw away the standard unequal length arms and put in a RRS Macpherson strut conversion. The rack and pinion conversion also gives you room for big pipes down the drivers side without cooking your seals on the p/steer box all the time.
Shane
(Falcon City - Adelaide)
__________________
PM me for your Pro-M prices

The 2 drag racers addages
1. If you are in control - you haven't got enough Horse Power...
2. If you throw it up in the air and it comes down - It's too heavy...

My Toys:
1998 NL FBT 033, Blue
1996 NL V8 Fairlane Ghia, YBESLO White, Grey trim, 16" V5 Simmons, LOW

Squeezed is nice, stroked is good, blown is unbeliveable - but all 3 is heaven
MrLandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 04:15   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
xbgs351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,067
Re: XC Suspension, swaybars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLandau
You want it to really handle throw away the standard unequal length arms and put in a RRS Macpherson strut conversion. The rack and pinion conversion also gives you room for big pipes down the drivers side without cooking your seals on the p/steer box all the time.
Shane
(Falcon City - Adelaide)
Do you have any experience with the RRS system?
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 01:05   #8 (permalink)
Pro-M Distributor
 
MrLandau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Adelaide (SA) & Manjimup (WA)
Age: 41
Posts: 401
Re: XC Suspension, swaybars

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Do you have any experience with the RRS system?
Yes,
I have driven an XB with the rack and pinion and mcpherson strut conversion done - and my 2nd white Landau is having the strut towers scolloped ATM whilst it is at the panelshop for it's rebuild. The whole conversion makes the car so much better again - just look in the lastest Street Machine and KB is recommending this setp for a Targa/sprint XY falcon.
regards,
Shane
(Falcon City - Adelaide)
__________________
PM me for your Pro-M prices

The 2 drag racers addages
1. If you are in control - you haven't got enough Horse Power...
2. If you throw it up in the air and it comes down - It's too heavy...

My Toys:
1998 NL FBT 033, Blue
1996 NL V8 Fairlane Ghia, YBESLO White, Grey trim, 16" V5 Simmons, LOW

Squeezed is nice, stroked is good, blown is unbeliveable - but all 3 is heaven
MrLandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 15:40   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
xbgs351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,067
Re: XC Suspension, swaybars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLandau
Yes,
I have driven an XB with the rack and pinion and mcpherson strut conversion done - and my 2nd white Landau is having the strut towers scolloped ATM whilst it is at the panelshop for it's rebuild. The whole conversion makes the car so much better again - just look in the lastest Street Machine and KB is recommending this setp for a Targa/sprint XY falcon.
regards,
Shane
(Falcon City - Adelaide)
I wouldn't cut the shock towers unless you absolutely have to. The torque on the towers remains unchanged compared to the factory setup.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 15:44   #10 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....
 
Soxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sydney
Age: 45
Posts: 2,580
Re: XC Suspension, swaybars

27mm front and 20mm rear bar is a very neutral setup.
Make sure you have at least 6 leaves on the back.

Rick.
__________________
4L I6, naturally aspirated producing 173.5rwkw.
14.410 @ 96.49mph with street radials.
What's that?..... Did I hear you say TQE power?
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swaybars juarez Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes 13 06-23-2004 00:00
Territory Launch (Comprehensive) RPO83 Territory 25 05-03-2004 04:56
XC ute suspension height uterozbert Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes 0 04-08-2004 08:37
xc suspension The Calster Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes 5 03-03-2004 01:09
Ford Territory Redefines the Handling Equation RPO83 Territory 18 08-19-2003 01:09

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:57.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.