XD riveted riveted ball joints - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2005, 03:49   #1 (permalink)

XD riveted riveted ball joints

OK , so I need to remove the original riveted upper ball joints .
I started tonight with a combination of drilling the rivet heads and
using an air chisel . Took me 2 1/2 hours just to remove one side.
Is there any secret to this ?
What do mechanics do ?

Cheers
speedzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2005, 13:30   #2 (permalink)

Re: XD riveted riveted ball joints

The other way is too grind the head of the rivet down slowly and carefully. Use a large punch and hammer to drive out the remaining section.
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 00:54   #3 (permalink)

I think your drill must have been blunt. I found it the best to remove the upper arm entirley. and do it on a bench. You should be able simply to drill the rivet head off, Say with a 13mm drill bit, and then use a punch to punch the rivet thro.
creature3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 19:57   #4 (permalink)
no tire smoke no fun!

i used a dremell

There is a war inside my head, if I take a day off I'll die!

This cat, is cat, a cat, good cat, way cat, to cat, keep cat, a cat, idiot cat, busy cat, for cat, 20 cat, seconds cat! Now read it all without the word cat!
zbenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 23:48   #5 (permalink)
heard it before!

they are CANTS of things! BUT they can be drilled out without major headaches when you have experience(HA HA) i use a centre punch to pop a spot in the centre of the rivet(this is for the top ball joint) drill a small say 3mm drill through centre then what ever size the bolts are for the second time and then chisel off the top of the rivet with a GOOD screwdriver or chisel.

the bottom ones are best done with the stub axel removed and in the same way otherwise(rest the lower arm on a brick or something)

theres a way easier way but depends on your car.
if you have lowered springs you can remove the top arm and throw it in the bin and buy one that has already had bolt in joints fitted from a wrecker
the lower arms can be swapped over in a similar fashion but the bushes are often buggered so keep that in mind also.
i think repco or rare spares had changeover reco arms also

have fun but dont forget to get a wheel align afterwards anyway 40 bux for a whhel align is cheaper than tyres
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes