Ford Forums banner

XE wagon brake upgrade

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  pandaman 
#1 ·
G'day fellas, I have an XE wagon which has the standard 286mm single pot disc brakes up front (With ventilated discs which i'm pretty sure wasn't original, but these days solid discs would be fairly hard to come by i suppose) and 254mm drums at the back. Just wondering what would be involved in upgrading the discs and calipers at the front, I'm guessing if I was gonna do that it would need a new master cylinder as well, so the drums at the back would have to become discs as well (new master cylinder probably wouldn't work well with the split disc/drum system). As I know very little about brakes at the moment (Planning on doing some reading :angel: ) I was hoping for some advice. After checking out falconfacts, i'm guessing that the slightly larger disc brakes off an XF would fit but they're still not much of an improvement. Ahh well, we'll see.

Cheers,
Neil

#2 ·
XE has vented discs stock. The iron PBR calipers are better than the latter Aluminium Girlocks. That is why Police cars and taxis had the PBR's. The largest gains in stopping ability will come from tyres, installing good brake pads and good brake fluid. I have had success with pads and fluid from Race Brakes.

You can use your current master cylinder for rear discs. A conversion from the wreckers for the rear should not be expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.