XE wagon brake upgrade - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2004, 09:45   #1 (permalink)
Another Ford Driver

XE wagon brake upgrade

G'day fellas, I have an XE wagon which has the standard 286mm single pot disc brakes up front (With ventilated discs which i'm pretty sure wasn't original, but these days solid discs would be fairly hard to come by i suppose) and 254mm drums at the back. Just wondering what would be involved in upgrading the discs and calipers at the front, I'm guessing if I was gonna do that it would need a new master cylinder as well, so the drums at the back would have to become discs as well (new master cylinder probably wouldn't work well with the split disc/drum system). As I know very little about brakes at the moment (Planning on doing some reading ) I was hoping for some advice. After checking out falconfacts, i'm guessing that the slightly larger disc brakes off an XF would fit but they're still not much of an improvement. Ahh well, we'll see.

Cheers,
Neil
pandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2004, 16:47   #2 (permalink)

Re: XE wagon brake upgrade

XE has vented discs stock. The iron PBR calipers are better than the latter Aluminium Girlocks. That is why Police cars and taxis had the PBR's. The largest gains in stopping ability will come from tyres, installing good brake pads and good brake fluid. I have had success with pads and fluid from Race Brakes.

You can use your current master cylinder for rear discs. A conversion from the wreckers for the rear should not be expensive.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 01:25   #3 (permalink)
Another Ford Driver

Re: XE wagon brake upgrade

Thanks for the info man, just trying to check out as many options as possible at the moment. I'll probably end up going the cheap option of scrounging the parts from a wreckers.
pandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes