XF Shocks & springs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2004, 16:07   #1 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

XF Shocks & springs

Can anyone confirm that the XF Falcon & Fairmont sedan have leaf springs rear? I thought only the Ghia had coil springs but I may be wrong.

Also - anyone know the part numbers for KYB shocks for an XF Ghia? I have 344020 for front & 344327 rear. I need shocks & springs & I see Supercheap have 20% off KYB this weekend here. I've searched the net & found nothing. The numbers I have are from the KYB catalogue but they don't specifically mention the Ghia. And the http://www.kyb.co.jp catalogue doesn't have Ford! Arrrrrrrgggghhh.

I don't want to go buying 100% wrong ones for 80% of the cost if you know what I mean because it may be some time before I get around to fitting them so I doubt I'd be able to return them after finding they're the wrong ones.

Thanks in advance.
yeah right is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2004, 16:19   #2 (permalink)
heard it before!

Re: XF Shocks & springs

all XD falcons + wagons, panel vans and utes have leaves in rear
XE/XF sedans all have coil springs all round,
don't know about shocks as last time i bought them i could only get 3 brands that have a short stroke for lowered springs at the rear, i chose GABRIEL VST but quality is sus, keep the reciept as if they are gunna leak it takes about a month, waranty was not an issue though. replacements lasted the 2 years i had the car
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 16:30   #3 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

Ahhh - that's reassuring - I think I'll take the plunge with the KYB units - I don't want to lower it but the springs are saggy (typical saggy ass XF) so I'll need them at some stage anyway.
Old 11-17-2004, 23:51   #4 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

Well I did it. I finally found the time. Lovells springs (FFL1/6 std height in front & FRR-18 raised in the rear as recommended by the NZ Agent P&H Suspension in Hamilton) & the KYB shocks above. The shocks in the rear were totally rooted (that explains why I was rivaling Skippy for bounces) as were the saggy springs. The car sits dead level now. I also did the radius rod bushes because they were the original rubber ones and totally past their useful life, causing the front end clunking.

It goes for the wheel alignment tomorrow (Friday) morning, after which I'm hooking the boat up & going fishing. Done enough damn work for one week.

On the maiden voyage after doing the suspension today, I got 38km towards my destination before the EFI fuel pump seized - at the worst possible point on Aucklands southern motorway - northbound on the Newmarket viaduct. The engine lost power & I had to try to coast to a point where there was a stopping shoulder - didn't quite make it but it was a short push aided by the passenger from a truck that ended up behind me after I crossed from the rightmost lane of 3 to the left lane under coast power lol. The car came back home on a transporter much to my embarassment (I hope the neighbours don't think it was something I did after hearing the rattle gun & everything lol). Quick diagnosis (not prime when the ignition was switched on) and visit to the wreckers and $50 later (new from Ford $630! Hahaha) and I'm mobile again. Phew!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes