XF Suspension and brakes??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2002, 06:20   #1 (permalink)
BUILT FORD TOUGH

Question XF Suspension and brakes???

Hi everyone.

I am researching different suspension and brakes packages for my '87 XF. After improved ride and handling, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have spoken with pedders, they have recommended their own big bore shocks and lower springs. Another dealer has king springs with GT gas shocks. Opinions please????

Currently my XF is a stock 250 with carb. I am looking at various parts to improve its performance. Cams, exhaust, other good bits.....unfortunately V8 is not an option as the wife drives it a bit and doesn't want a beast. However a sporty 6 is the preferred option.

Thanks in advance.

Shaun in Brisbane.
xfxcess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2002, 06:54   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Hi Shaun and welcome to the Forums.

You will proabably find that either option is a good choice to improve front end turn in and rebound compliance. Other useful front end mods are replacement of the standard rubber bushes with Nolathane ones and replacement (when they need it) of the ball joints with Dufor units.

Cheers
Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 07:04   #3 (permalink)
BUILT FORD TOUGH

Thanks Russ.

In reference to the bushes, the guy at pedders suggested a combination standard rubber and nolathene at different points in the front end. Never heard of this until today, I was going to put a nolethene bushes through the front end but the pedders thought it wasn't necessary.
Old 06-15-2002, 07:10   #4 (permalink)
F*#K the government

My opinion is to use the Pedders, I have used both.
GT gas shocks don't last long, well in less than 12 months you will notice poorer shock performance, plus they will never work as well as the Pedders shorter, fatter shocks.
As for springs Pedder can give you springs that will get the ride height closer to what you want, and unless Kings springs have changed all they will give you is a different spring height, which means with a stiffer spring you may end up higher than you started.
As for brakes I would like to hear ideas too, the only thing I know that is simple is DBA cross drilled disc and Bendix Ultimate pads.
damage181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 07:28   #5 (permalink)
BUILT FORD TOUGH

Hi damage181,

I was speaking to the owner's of a two different brake shops, they had tested the DBA standard, slotted and cross-drill & slotted rotors. Both thought the cross-drill & slotted rotors only benefit those travelling over 140KM.

One of guys had a Chev and a HSV and was using standard rotors with Bendix premium pads.

Both said the C/D/S rotors deteriorated quickly, even cracking and can be hairy when cold.

Two option have been suggested to me:

Standard DBA rotors all round or on the rear with slotted rotters only on the front.
Old 06-15-2002, 08:07   #6 (permalink)
F*#K the government

I have never used the new DBA yet, I know some people that have and have only good comments, but that is their opinion.

When I was much younger I stuffed a set of standard front disc in one go, showing off to a mate (scaring him actually) I showed him how short of a distance to a T intersection I could leave it before braking at 160KM, young, stupid and hot spotted rotors(stuffed)
damage181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 18:28   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xfxcess
Thanks Russ.

In reference to the bushes, the guy at pedders suggested a combination standard rubber and nolathene at different points in the front end. Never heard of this until today, I was going to put a nolethene bushes through the front end but the pedders thought it wasn't necessary.
I would agree with this - the critical places to change to Nolathane are control arm and sway bar bushes.
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 19:17   #8 (permalink)
1 bad 302

Welcome to the forums xfxcess.
Our back up vehicle is a 87 XF, 5 speed and has been lowered using Pedders suspension. The car has had this done 4 - 5 years ago and still handles like a dream. It has standard disks all round and stops quite well, though we are considering replacing the front rotors with DBA slotted ones as that is the main stopping power.

As i was very happy with the Pedders suspension, i have had the same set up fitted to my EF XR8 and i'm rapped with the handling and looks of the car.
Next brake pads will be Bendix Performance as they are a better gripping pad, with unfortunately more dust on the mags. Guess you can't have it all.

Jon
dragonV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 21:53   #9 (permalink)
BUILT FORD TOUGH

Thanks Jon, I think will go with the pedders suspensions and DBA slotted rotors on the front with standard rotors on the rear, both with Bendix Performax pads. Seems it could be a reliable combination.

Does the brake dust damage the mags? I was looking at fitting as set of FTR mags to the XF.

What 5 speed box do you have fitted? Is the XF a standard 250? and and mods?
Old 06-15-2002, 22:51   #10 (permalink)
BUILT FORD TOUGH

Should I convert the 250 crossflow to EFI??? Pro and cons???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes