Ford Forums banner

xr8 - brake & shock upgrade

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  elxr8393 
#1 ·
Can anyone help with experience. I'm looking to upgrade my EBII XR8.
The motor has been worked, Twisted Wedge Heads, Roller Cam, Roller Rockers & Unichip.
Looking to improve the brakes and suspension to keep the beast on the road.
I'm running std 16x7 rims with 225/50/16 Bridgestone Potenza GIII tyres, just fitted.
Considering fitting Koni shocks, and upgrading front brakes to CEBCO twin piston calipers and matching rotors.
Any comments, experiences or recommendations of alternatives greatly appreciated.
Thanks all

#2 ·
You'll need to get 17" rims to fit the Cebco kit (unless they have developed a 16" kit!). Can't go wrong with Koni shocks, and match them to a decent set of King springs.

I'd also recommend a set of DBA slotted or drilled/slotted rotors and Bendix Ultimate pads. It's a common combo on a lot of XR's running around (including mine) and is a great value mod which will get some use.

#4 ·
elxr8393 said:
Be very wary of anyone offering a brake upgrade caliper-wise that uses the standard uprights (spindles), they are simply not up to it no matter how people butcher them. EL GT uprights are required to change to any performance (4 or 6 spot) caliper.
The Cebco brake kits comes with everything, including EL GT style spindles. Explains the $2k price tag

#5 ·
Thanks for the input, according to the cebco website, 16"wheels are ok, will call them to confirm.
I had a concern re the durability of the cebco spindles, as they are non genuine but will probably be better anyway.
I had'nt planned on changing the springs, but maybe I need to consider them also. Any suggestions of a source for the King springs, and what are the advantages over standard ???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.