Xt front suspension query - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2002, 17:00   #1 (permalink)

Xt front suspension query

Folks,
Last night I was under the ute checking on a clunk in my front suspension and discovered that the upper control arm bushes had come unscrewed to the point where the face with the grease nipple was hard up against the inside of the spring tower. I'm a bit pissed off because i paid a suspension place to rebuild these and I would have thought they would have tightened them up properly. What I want to know is if there is any adjustment on these bushes or is it just a matter of tightening them up as far as they go.
Thanks in advance
Tote
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2002, 18:15   #2 (permalink)

no, there is no adjustment except making sure they are centered in the control arm. I would go back to the suspension place and start throwing things, as they should know better
creature3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 18:41   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by creature3
I would go back to the suspension place and start throwing things, as they should know better
Thanks for the reply, I would throw things but I had them rebuild about 6 months before I got the ute on the road. I guess that thats somewhere that wont get the rebuild on the rear suspension.
Regds,
Tote
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 01:38   #4 (permalink)
XR8 XR6 Club of Victoria

Upper A arms

What I have done to XAs, XBs and XCs is to install the XD/E/F type upper A arms.
These are with the rubber bushes and this banishes front end squeek forever ! The ride was quieter afterwards and handling does appear to have improved as well.
Have done one XY and the arms fit OK there as well.

Next time, give this a try and you will be pleasantly suprised.

PS. Use the Ford type rubber bushes and not Noelethane or Urethane types. The Rubber works much better.
TBH: (the better half) drives an ED XR6 wagon (Mock Dev 4 160rwkw, JMM extractors, 4 electric windows, Ghia door panels in XR trim, rear head & arm rests in XR trim, Momo s/wheel with Cruise, EL thermos, EBGT wheels, etc) things to come soon = EECV upgrade.
Muzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 05:42   #5 (permalink)

XT Upper arms

G'Day All,

If you get your hands on a genuine Ford workshop manual, it gives you all the details on how to set these up. You will need to make up a spacer, and as Creature 3 says, make sure the shafts are centred in the arm. The main problem is wear in the threaded ends after 30 odd years of abuse, and no one stocks replacements (haunted the wreckers for yonks before I found a good set!).

So perhaps the best bet is to fit the later model upper arms after all!

Cheers
XWish Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes