01 Ford Windstar LX - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 03:09   #1 (permalink)

01 Ford Windstar LX

So I'll go through what happen.

I had rich/lean codes on bank 1/2 so I changed out the intake gaskets to try and fix the problem but I think I created more. Didn't have a torque wrench so I had to barrow one (mistake #1). The wrench I used was not the normal wrench. One of the ones that clicks when its to your torque setting. I've never liked using those kind but did anyways since I wanted to do it right.

So before I start I test the wrench to make sure its working right, set it and put it on my lug nuts and seemed to work fine. So I start to torque them down. So the wrench didn't work right and had 1 bolt snap and another make an even worse sound. Anyways after that happen I quit going any tighter since I didn't want to snap every bolt. But now the problem the little driving I did I have lost almost all of my oil, and have a few more error codes now and still have one of the same codes. P0171 lean/rich bank 1, bank 2 code is gone so I think the intake gaskets were bad, but created more problems since I think the worse sound that happen first cracked the head. Can be the only thing I can think of why I have lost so much oil. Just wanting to get some opinions on this. I'll post the other error codes up when everyone wakes up.
bcitymodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 04:35   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 01 Ford Windstar LX

Sounds like you were just over torquing the bolts. Did you remove the damaged ones? As far as the lean codes returning what gaskets did you change? Did you also replace the bolts that hold the lower plastic intake on?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:53   #3 (permalink)

Well I know that they got over torqued. Only 1 completely broke out. The first one is the one that I'm worried about it didn't fully break out like the second one did. I replaced all the intake manifold gaskets. And replaced the groments for the plastic intake. But over torqued still Dont explain the oil loss.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:09   #4 (permalink)

Forgot, no I didn't changed the broke one.

Here are the error codes I have now. P1000, P0171, P0456, B1318, C2477, C1145, C1155. The abs codes are probably from switching out the front strut assemblies.
Old 10-17-2013, 16:11   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

I would recheck for another vacuum leak. The P0456 is evap code I believe and the others are irrelevant to drive ability.

Old 10-17-2013, 16:27   #6 (permalink)

Yea the other codes are from changing the strut assemblies. It still sounds like a air leak when its running from the back somewhere. But still havent found a reason for the oil being gone.
Old 10-28-2013, 19:20   #7 (permalink)

So I got a bigger problem than that. So I took the manifold back off just to check the head and be sure.

So I believe that the manifold was not tight enough and that is what the problem was. And I'm guessing that my bolts are old and need to be replaced because trying to put it back on has snapped 5 bolts 2 of which are new 6mmx1.00x60mm and 6mmx1.00x35mm grade 10 bolts. 1 long broke going in and 1 short broke coming out torque wrench was at most at 20lbs when the long one snapped. The first one that broke from the old bolts had to have been the one that made the noise the first time, because it was just getting them snug to start torqueing them down when it snapped the next one was being torqued not even to 20lbs and broke.

Is it a bad torque wrench, bolts, or what? I have never had so many problems with torque wrenches in my life and am at a lost with this now. Also one of the pieces that was still in the head that I was taking out slipped out my fingers and fell into the engine. Need to know if where it fell would lead into the oil pan. Sounded like that's where it fell to heard it fall a good distance and ting hit bottom.

My neighbor works at ford so he is seeing if they have the original bolts and is gonna grab them for me if they do.
Old 10-29-2013, 16:07   #8 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Depending on the condition, might be worth running a tap down the bolt holes to clean them out.
Old 10-29-2013, 16:33   #9 (permalink)
Moderators

20ft pounds on 6 mm bolts is your problem. That's way to much

Old 10-30-2013, 01:19   #10 (permalink)

I'm starting to wonder how much you really know. Torque specs for the lower intake are 44lbs step 1 and then 89lbs step 2. So explain to me how that is to much? And its like you can't read at all I had a couple questions in there and you didn't answer a single one. And yet your still posting.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar