'01 Windstar door lock issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 01:39   #1 (permalink)

'01 Windstar door lock issues

Hi folks, new to the forum and recently bought an '01 Windstar. Overall it's in good shape, but I have some issues with the power door locks I'd like some advice on. They have peculiar behavior:

- All doors - except the driver's door - lock when the vehicle is taken out of Park

- All doors seldom lock/unlock using the switch on the driver's door or passenger's door control panel

Should I be looking at some control module for these or the lock actuators themselves? Is there something else entirely I should be looking at?

Thanks
Monty51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 08:38   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: '01 Windstar door lock issues

There could be a connection problem at the front GEM. Unplug it and clean all of the connections and see if it helps.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:43   #3 (permalink)

This GEM...General Electronic Module? I'm seeing in other places that it's also known as a Body Control Module and is on the back side of the interior fuse panel. Is that the one you're referring to?
Old 06-01-2011, 12:15   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That's the one.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:32   #5 (permalink)

I'll take a look at it this evening...thanks!
Old 06-01-2011, 19:18   #6 (permalink)

After taking a look around I see I don't have a GEM, but a FEM and a REM. The FEM is a little complicated to get to (not overly), but I didn't have the time tonight.

I should add one piece of information to my symptoms: when using the driver or passenger power lock/unlock button, regardless of whether it works or not, I hear the clunking of solenoids or motors as they attempt to work the locks, and the locks themselves jiggle just a bit. Could this be an undervoltage getting to the solenoids?
Old 06-01-2011, 20:34   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

They're actually front GEM and rear GEM in the Ford manual. As for the clicking, I couldn't say but you could check the voltage at fuse #14 in the inside fuse box. When you press the lock/unlock button on the drivers switch, it grounds either the light blue/orange or the light green yellow. You could try grounding one or the other and see if the locks work. Make sure the black wire is a good ground.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:00   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it at a convenient time.
Old 01-07-2012, 20:23   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty51 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it at a convenient time.
Any update on this?

Looking at a wiring diagram, the front right door lock is controlled by the Rear Electronic Module which is fed by 10 Amp fuse #11 and controls the sliding door lock and the liftgate lock. Also the liftgate lock and right, front door lock are teed together so when you unlock the right right door, the liftgate should unlock.

On ours, it's just the right front door that doesn't unlock so we can figure that the REM is sending the unlock signal to the right front door. The right door unlock switch doesn't work, but the door locks when the van is put in gear, so that circuit is working. The only circuit not working is the door unlock.

Something I don't understand for sure though: if I hit the unlock switch in the right door, the signal goes through the door hinge to the REM, then back through the hinge tot he lock actuator. Does this sound right?
TDIDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 21:35   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Here are the diagrams for the locks. Fig. #1 shows the right door circuit. | Repair Guides | Door Locks (2001) | Door Locks (2001) | AutoZone.com

You should have power in the yellow/red and orange/black wires at the right switch. The 20amp fuse #8 should be good too.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar