02 Windstar Power staying on to most circuits with key pulled and in the off position. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 19:16   #1 (permalink)

02 Windstar Power staying on to most circuits with key pulled and in the off position.

So fellas,

Van wouldn't start in the morning and have had to boost it the past couple weeks then it goes away etc then comes back. So today I got the test light out and put it on all the fuses under the dash and hood by battery. 85% of the fuses have power to them and I'm not talking a dim light I'm talking a full powered light from the tester. And the #1 and #1 switched relays under the dash in the fuse box are hot and always on. Even went from the ground in front of the battery to the POS and full light.

I'm assuming the ignition switch is dirty or arcing across or just out right faulty.

What else could it be? Also the Ebrake light is always on and the ABS has always been on. Gotta call ford and see if the ABS recall has been done on it.

Oh and I need to sell this thing ASAP as I just bought a 2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost.

Thanks for any info fellas.

Right now I'm pulling the neg battery cable to save the battery.
Winchested is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013, 07:05   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 02 Windstar Power staying on to most circuits with key pulled and in the off position.

You should get a full light going from positive to ground on the battery. There are also several relays that are hot at all times, the relay is controlled by making the neutral, thus, the coil is always hot. Have Advanced\O'Reilly's\AutoZone check the battery and alternator. As far as the brake indicators, what's the condition of the brakes?
Old 08-25-2013, 07:32   #3 (permalink)

Re: 02 Windstar Power staying on to most circuits with key pulled and in the off position.

Brakes are new all around.

It was saftied with the abs light on a year ago.

So here's what I've done so far.
-pulled lock cylinder and cleaned as the detent was sticking at the off position.
-removed ignition switch and still getting power to the same circuits so it isn't the ignition switch.

I'm going to try and clean all the grounds possible that I can find other than that I'm so stumped. Because I've had issues with this in the past and never had all circuits stay on just the one that was causing a drain.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:15   #4 (permalink)

So put the ignition switch back in and now I've lost power to fuse #1 under Dash which controls all interior and signal lamps etc.

I put ignition switch back In with the neg cable attached to battery on accident did I fry the switch?

Because now I no longer have power anytime to fuse #1 which is interior lighting.
Fuse #7 left rear turn, reverse lamps right rear stop, right rear park and licence lamps. Or fuse #12 which is center mounted brake.

But still without key in have power to all other fuses.
Oh and cleaned all grounds I could find.

And won't crank under 13 volts on the battery.
I hate this POS man.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:13   #5 (permalink)

Okay so.
I pulled the ignition switch again.

Drilled the rivets, cleaned the contacts with sand paper and but machine screws in place of rivets. Put it back in and I've got my interior lights reverse lamps and tails/ signals back.

Still back to the point of full power draw with the ignition off.

Can a battery short itself out? This battery is a motocraft by Ford. So I assume original battery.

But can that cause power to be on all the time or do I have some sort of short somewhere.

I'm going to charge battery and then remove cables and see if it loses voltage on its own.
Old 08-25-2013, 13:14   #6 (permalink)

Okay so as soon as I unhooked the neg cable the battery came back up from 11.05 Volts to 13.06 Volts and has held constant at 13.06 for over 2 hrs. So really that rules out the battery in my opinion.

So did the Check with a tester light off of the POS terminal to the POS harness.

All in the Power Distribution Box under hood.
The following is what was draining the battery

#9- 15 Amp fuse Right headlamp (Lamp actually stays on with fuse in without the headlight switch turned on) Wasn't doing this before, not sure if its because some of the larger fuses are not in 100 series)
#10- 15 Amp Right park, turn, aux lamp
#11- 15 Amp Left Park, turn left aux lamp
#12- 15 Amp Fuse left head lamp

#106- 30 Amp Delayed accessory Relay (was flicking on and off repeatedly with only the test lamp to hold the circuit with the POS cable back on the POS terminal this did not flick on and off)
#115- Fuse Junction box #2 (constant draw)
#119- Fuse Junction box #1 (Constant draw)
#120- Front blower relay (was flicking on and off repeatedly with only the test lamp to hold the circuit with the POS cable back on the POS terminal this did not flick on and off)

So this was as far as I got not sure where to go from this point? I cleaned 4 grounds under the hood today and 1 behind the left tail light.

Oh and tried to start the battery with Voltage across the terminals at 12.96 volts and slight crank and then nothing.
Old 08-25-2013, 18:02   #7 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

It does sound like you have an electrical problem. You're going to have to find out who's calling when it's not supposed to. Best help I can give you is the electrical schematics. I'd suggest removing the fuses on anything that states "hot at all times". then check the positive terminal to ground with the battery disconnected. You can probably break it down from there.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...96b43f8036e586

Last edited by CatSkinner; 08-25-2013 at 18:04. Reason: Forgot link
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 18:40   #8 (permalink)

Thanks, not sure where to start though.

Might just be selling it as is and try to get $1500 for it. I don't have time to waste trying to dig much deeper into this thing, which really sucks.

I think the FEM might be NFG somehow it could be shorting out inside and crossing power over into other circuits. Again I don't have a clue.
Old 08-26-2013, 17:36   #9 (permalink)

So I checks the actual FEM and REM units for sign of moisture etc and bad solder joints and no bad spots. I'm putting a new ignition switch in it tomorrow and then will buy a new battery for it as I believe this one is the original after 11 years.

This one at low 2A charge was charging at 15.5 V when it was complete and when I checked voltage after charge was disconnected it was only 13.66 V.

Edit: got home 2 hours later charge dropped to 13.25 V with both pos and neg off.
Old 08-27-2013, 15:48   #10 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Should have someone check it, but if it's that old, should be replaced for reliability purposes.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar