I just replaced my coil pack today!(2004, 3.9 engine, 93,000 miles, puchased used dec 08' with 82,000 miles) I was experiencing a high load miss.
I removed: Battery connectors, the wiper arms (both nuts were loose with NO Locktite in site
), cowl cover, wiper assembly, PCM connector(pass side PCM flange nut loose
, evidence of water incursion noted inside connector near pins
, evidence of water damage noted on top of computer can after removal
, all PCM TSB steps finished),cabin air intake box(loosen the bottom nut and remove the upper nut, rotate top forward and pull up, disconnected to ease access of rear plugs),Cowling drain tube removed for access(snap fit, pull up to remove), quick release heater hose unhooked(behind engine, Has two O-rings, remove and protect these
, hose disconnected to ease access of rear plugs).
Removed wires, plugs and coil pack (#3 plug not seated fully
, (took 2.5 turns to remove, all other plugs took about 5.5 turns)), coil pack housing cracked in several places, oozing rust from cracks
Used: AutoZone Duralast wires($25/set) and coil pack($75).
Autolite dual platinum plugs($25/set).
I used copious amounts of dielectric grease on PCM connector and PCM flange sealing surfaces.
I used copious amounts of aquarium sealer around the two cowling parts.
I used Locktite on the wiper arm nuts.
Took the van for a test drive, miss under load seems to be gone.