04 Ford Freestar Ignition Coil Help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 10:14   #1 (permalink)

04 Ford Freestar Ignition Coil Help

has anyone here replaced the ignition coil on a 4.2L freestar before how do you get to it? i remember changing the sparkplugs and remember the rear plugs to be almost impossible to get to. any help would be great!
Dechstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2009, 13:33   #2 (permalink)

Re: 04 Ford Freestar Ignition Coil Help

I just replaced my coil pack today!(2004, 3.9 engine, 93,000 miles, puchased used dec 08' with 82,000 miles) I was experiencing a high load miss.

I removed: Battery connectors, the wiper arms (both nuts were loose with NO Locktite in site), cowl cover, wiper assembly, PCM connector(pass side PCM flange nut loose, evidence of water incursion noted inside connector near pins, evidence of water damage noted on top of computer can after removal, all PCM TSB steps finished),cabin air intake box(loosen the bottom nut and remove the upper nut, rotate top forward and pull up, disconnected to ease access of rear plugs),Cowling drain tube removed for access(snap fit, pull up to remove), quick release heater hose unhooked(behind engine, Has two O-rings, remove and protect these, hose disconnected to ease access of rear plugs).

Removed wires, plugs and coil pack (#3 plug not seated fully, (took 2.5 turns to remove, all other plugs took about 5.5 turns)), coil pack housing cracked in several places, oozing rust from cracks.

Used: AutoZone Duralast wires($25/set) and coil pack($75).
Autolite dual platinum plugs($25/set).

I used copious amounts of dielectric grease on PCM connector and PCM flange sealing surfaces.

I used copious amounts of aquarium sealer around the two cowling parts.

I used Locktite on the wiper arm nuts.

Took the van for a test drive, miss under load seems to be gone.
goliathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 14:34   #3 (permalink)

thats exactly what this van is doing so i have to remove the wiper arms and all that other crap huh? lol sounds like a fun day
Old 02-15-2009, 14:48   #4 (permalink)

Access of the rear plugs from above was easier for me. I have a PDF file of the Ford TSB for the PCM drivability problem that made the process of removing the upper cowling parts easier to understand. Then I removed everything else that was in the way of the rear plugs. It took Me about 8hrs start to finish at an easy pace.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:40   #5 (permalink)

pm sent
Old 02-16-2009, 15:27   #6 (permalink)

Here is the TSB:

http://fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.co...tsb/061410.pdf
Old 05-12-2009, 09:55   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goliathman View Post
I just replaced my coil pack today!(2004, 3.9 engine, 93,000 miles, puchased used dec 08' with 82,000 miles) I was experiencing a high load miss.

I removed: Battery connectors, the wiper arms (both nuts were loose with NO Locktite in site), cowl cover, wiper assembly, PCM connector(pass side PCM flange nut loose, evidence of water incursion noted inside connector near pins, evidence of water damage noted on top of computer can after removal, all PCM TSB steps finished),cabin air intake box(loosen the bottom nut and remove the upper nut, rotate top forward and pull up, disconnected to ease access of rear plugs),Cowling drain tube removed for access(snap fit, pull up to remove), quick release heater hose unhooked(behind engine, Has two O-rings, remove and protect these, hose disconnected to ease access of rear plugs).

Removed wires, plugs and coil pack (#3 plug not seated fully, (took 2.5 turns to remove, all other plugs took about 5.5 turns)), coil pack housing cracked in several places, oozing rust from cracks.

I used copious amounts of dielectric grease on PCM connector and PCM flange sealing surfaces.

Thanks for the wealth of information!!!

I just bought a used 2006 Freestar with 112K miles and about to change the alternator and spark plugs. How can I check the condition of the plug wires and coil before changing?

Thanks again.
VirgilLoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 19:34   #8 (permalink)

Smile Re: 04 Ford Freestar Ignition Coil Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by goliathman View Post

This Information saved me a ton of money.I was headed for the Ford Dealership and I seen this and tried it and it worked...The coil was bad..Your detailed instructions was excellant. Thanks A Lot!!Walt Moore
WaltMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 20:03   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

We're glad you got it fixed and let us know. It's always good to get verification of repairs because it can help more people.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar