05 Freestar - Engine coolant temp sensor - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 16:15   #1 (permalink)

Question 05 Freestar - Engine coolant temp sensor

The temp gauge on my 2005 Ford Freestar fluctuates wildly at highway speeds. But when I look under the hood the engine does not seem to be overheating. I've already changed the thermostat and the same problem exists. So I will try to replace the temp sender, but I'm not sure how to access it. Has anyone done this before? If so please write down a brief step by step. (Did you have to remove the upper manifold or is there an easier way to access it? If you did have to remove, did you also have to get new ring seals or were you able to reuse?)
fordowner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 21:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: 05 Freestar - Engine coolant temp sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordowner05 View Post
The temp gauge on my 2005 Ford Freestar fluctuates wildly at highway speeds. But when I look under the hood the engine does not seem to be overheating. I've already changed the thermostat and the same problem exists. So I will try to replace the temp sender, but I'm not sure how to access it. Has anyone done this before? If so please write down a brief step by step. (Did you have to remove the upper manifold or is there an easier way to access it? If you did have to remove, did you also have to get new ring seals or were you able to reuse?)

Hello and good day to you:

is this a 2005 Ford Freestar Engine:
V6-242ci 3.9L F/I Vin 6
or a
V6-256ci 4.2L F/I Vin 2

Can you please advise??

The coolant temperature sensor is near the thermostat housing and the cylinder head temp sensor is at the rear of the left cylinder head.
AutoZone.com | Vehicle Selection - Year
Autozone has free repair guides here. Select your vehicle and go to "Engine Performance & Emission Controls" for many sensor locations. Good luck!
Old 01-29-2009, 16:13   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the link Sterling_Six. It's a 4.2L model. Unfortunately the "component locations" link doesn't have that info yet. I went to Ford service and asked where the ECT is located on my model, and the diagram showed it at the rear side of the manifold. They would give no more info than that. (This location is deep in the engine compartment which is why I was wondering if there was any other way to access it besides removing the upper manifold) I had a windstar before and the ECT was right beside the thermostat housing like you said. But for the freestar it seems to be in a different place. And I'm having so much trouble finding any information online (free or pay) that gives more detail than just "unhook from battery, unscrew old sensor, screw in new sensor, and rehook to battery" But none ever say where the darn thing is located and how to get to it. Thanks again Sterling for your response. I'll keep an eye out on autozone.
Old 01-29-2009, 18:10   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordowner05 View Post
Thanks for the link Sterling_Six. It's a 4.2L model. Unfortunately the "component locations" link doesn't have that info yet. I went to Ford service and asked where the ECT is located on my model, and the diagram showed it at the rear side of the manifold. They would give no more info than that. (This location is deep in the engine compartment which is why I was wondering if there was any other way to access it besides removing the upper manifold) I had a windstar before and the ECT was right beside the thermostat housing like you said. But for the freestar it seems to be in a different place. And I'm having so much trouble finding any information online (free or pay) that gives more detail than just "unhook from battery, unscrew old sensor, screw in new sensor, and rehook to battery" But none ever say where the darn thing is located and how to get to it. Thanks again Sterling for your response. I'll keep an eye out on autozone.

Ok...let me look into this a little deeper for you and I will repond shortly.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:46   #5 (permalink)

I took a look at my 4.2L Freestar - I'm not positive but this looks an awful lot like a temp sending unit.

janeuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 17:12   #6 (permalink)

no thats the imfamous cam position sensor that sometimes develops a squeel.
the sensor your looking for should be on the drivers side of the rear head.
goliathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 19:26   #7 (permalink)

Thanks again for all your feedback. I do have an update on this issue. I just came back from the ford dealership service center none the wiser than when I came in. After 2 hours they could not come up with any reason why the temp gauge would bounce around (they were able to recreate the problem but couldn't find the cause) And to top it all off, when I asked them to simply replace the engine coolant temp sender (which ford had sold to me earlier) they said it actually didn't have one??? They claimed this model uses the computer to measure the temp??? I went out of there feeling totally ripped off. And as if on que on my way home, the temp gauge spiked up to the red again. I'm not sure where to go from here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar