'06 Freestar HORRIBLE Mileage - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 14:23   #1 (permalink)

'06 Freestar HORRIBLE Mileage

Just purchased a 2006 Ford Freestar Sport Minivan from the used car lot. I picked it up because my coleague has the same one and has good things to say about it.

First thing I noticed when I took it home was putting it into reverse it jumped. I have to put it in reverse and wait until it catches the gear.

anyway, what pisses me off the most about this van is that my colleague has the exact same van, 4.2L, etc, etc and he gets about 700KM per tank where I get between 550 and 600km per tank IF i'm lucky.

Since I got the car, I got a new air filter put in and a fuel filter put in. No change. The van has 148,000km on it.

I plan on doing the plugs and wires real soon, but I highly doubt that this will give me the 150-100km per tank I am missing here..

Does anybody have any idea?
nicklavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2012, 21:03   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: '06 Freestar HORRIBLE Mileage

I'd start with a fluid and filter change and see what comes of it.
Old 09-16-2012, 13:27   #3 (permalink)
canuck

Re: '06 Freestar HORRIBLE Mileage

Synthetic oils will free up a couple HP that would otherwise be lost due to frictional loss.

Driving speeds and style can greatly contribute to lower mileages/range. Tire pressure and tread style are another possibility. Thicker treated tires with some sidewall bite will be more inefficient at higher speeds. Running tires overinflated (even 1-2psi) won't necessarily help with mileage as it lifts up the vehicle ever so slightly thus increasing drag and you run the risk of blowing the tires.

It's minimal here, but weight in the vehicle also plays a role. Less weight, equates to better throttle response and less throttle is needed to get up to a similar speed. If you run with all your seats in, that adds 250lbs or so right there. Don't need that third row? - store it in the shed/garage (wrapped in plastic/bags to prolong fabric life).

Exterior enhancements such as roof rail bars, side steps (skirts) and even wider tires (I believe the Freestars came with 3 tire sizes/widths depending on model Base/Sport SEL & Limited) can hamper mileage. Larger diameter wheels are heavier and again, can cost you in some mileage although it's rather miniscule.

Lastly, does this other Freestar owner drive the van until the reserve fuel kicks in (fuel light comes on) or does he fill up before then? It's easy to get another 75km after the fuel light comes on and having a few litres left to spare before hitting up a gas station. If you both fill up with 80L at a time, then check the variables above.

There are a lot of variables to consider, right down to the fuel brand/type/octane used.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar