1996 3.8L V6 Engine issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2004, 18:29   #1 (permalink)

1996 3.8L V6 Engine issues

I have just been notified that my 3.8L V6 engine in my 1996 Ford Windstar needs to be replaced. HELP!

About 10 months ago, the timing cover gasket blew on the engine. 7 months later (after spending over $1,000 to have the timeing cover gasket replaced) my oil light began coming on, the car began to run rough (check enging light flickering) burning 2-3 quarts of oil a week, carbon blowing out of the tail pipe etc...

At this pont here are the facts:
1997 Ford Windstar
77009 miles
Major repair: Timing cover gasket
regular oil changes

I have read enough posts, to indicate that there is an issue with this engine, but so far I have read nothing that indicates what Ford will do.

A Ford dealer said that my car is not within the 5 year time frame, but according to some of the articles I've read, the 1996 3.8l V6 is covered for 7 years 100,000 miles.

I really can't afford the $3,900 price tag that Ford quoted me for a new engine, so I'm turning to other Ford owners for help

Thanks
Savedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2004, 19:23   #2 (permalink)
gone

Re: 1996 3.8L V6 Engine issues

Welcome to the forums

Appart from the dealer have you contacted the Customer Service Number?
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 13:24   #3 (permalink)

Yes....
I spoke to Julianne and was told to take the van to a Ford dealership for diagnostics because they don't accept 3rd party diags...
She proceeded to also tell me that Ford will be able to make all the latest repairs available... but I will have to pay for them.
There are no extended warranties, or service repair bulletins on my vehicle.
I stated that I also own a 1996 Camaro with close to 130k on it, my father-in-law owns a Buick with close to 200k on it and neither vehicle has needed major engine repair.
When I asked who I could speak to who was over her, she said that "No one will be able to tell you anything more than I have"

Any other direction I should take?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2004, 08:56   #4 (permalink)

I have written to William Clay Ford (copying State of Michigan Atty. General) and received a call from the Executive office (Duncan Aldason(?). I told them what had happened. He stated that he would forward my complaint to Engineering, but that he hadn’t come across any problems as I described them, and the Ford would not be able to do anything. I have made repeated requests for documentation regarding their decision but have yet to receive anything.
Old 07-24-2004, 22:35   #5 (permalink)

I think that the big problem with those motors is the head gaskets blowing out. It is probably a good idea to go to a non-dealer mechanic that you trust if you want to save a little money.
johnpaulmuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 05:35   #6 (permalink)

A non-dealer mechanic was the one who diagnosed the problem... Ford just confirmed that it was a head gasket issue... (I've already had the timing cover gasket replaced... $1,000 down the toilet...) and that is the problem...Ford knew about the gasket failure in 1993... didn't correct it until 1997... and offered a secret warranty from 1993 to 1995 including reimbursement for the repair and or up to $4,000 off a new car. However, my car is a 1996 with 77,125 miles on it. I refuse to shell out any more money to fix something that the manufacturer... due to their admitted knowledge of... should have taken care of ALL 3.8L V-6 engines, and after further research, there are thousands of Ford owners that have had major engine work done on their 1996 3.8L V-6 engine and have bought the crap the has come down from the Glass Toilet in Dearborn and figured that it was their problem and they had to pay for it. I don’t have the $3800 (Ford price… no warranty) to piss away to fix a problem I did not create.

Ford obviously refuses to stand behind there products. Their bottom line is more important to them than their customers.
I have already talked at least 6 people into purchasing NON-Ford vehicles … and my niece and her friends will not be purchasing their 6 season tickets to the Lions… another bad product from the Ford Family!)

This is not over.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:29   #7 (permalink)

What month was your 96 windstar made? Those made after august 96 have the least problems.
Kartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 15:56   #8 (permalink)

Sounds familiar. I just got quoted today for the timing cover coolant leak thing;$900. This is after having the tranny rebuilt, which luckily was under the car lots warranty still. I also have my check engine light on, and the ABS light's on, but that's just a wheel speed sensor. Exactly how bad are these to fix? Are we talking drop the engine and tranny, or can it be done from the wheel well area afer removing all the accesories. Thanks!!
turbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar