1998 Transmission leak - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 15:28   #1 (permalink)

1998 Transmission leak

Hi All,

I have read all about different leaks form the transmission here and I have a specific question. I have identified the source of the leak and now I need to figure out replacing the part. The problem is that I cannot identify the part and I am hoping someone here can help me.

The leak is coming from the hose by the driver side front bumper. It seems like a clamp has helped to rust through the pipe and caused a leak.

Anyone have tips on replacing/identifying this line? Is there an easier route vs replacing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120819_153054.jpg (59.8 KB, 8 views)
joekool84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 17:09   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 1998 Transmission leak

Looks like the transmission cooler. If it's just the fitting, that can be replaced, if its' the actual cooler, that, too, can be replaced by an after market.
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 19:04   #3 (permalink)

OK. Where can I find that piece? I have searched at every auto parts store to no avail.

Is there a way to seal up the hole?

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2012, 18:31   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Well, I'm not sure which piece you need. If you can get a better picture of where the leak is, I might be able to help you. The cooler is an integral part of the radiator, If it's the connector, you can get it at most automotive stores (DORMAN Part # 800601), if it's the tubing, depending on how much flex you have and the condition of the tubing, yo might be able to cut it back a little with a set of tubing cutters and re-attach it. Otherwise you might have to replace the tubing.
Old 08-20-2012, 19:25   #5 (permalink)

I tried to show where the leak is in this picture. It is right behind the bumper in this line that I drew in red. A clamp holds the lines in place at that point and I think it rusted through.

It looks like I can disconnect the line from behind the radiator and maybe put a high pressure hose or clamp on the line. I don't know how well that would work....

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120819_153054.jpg (64.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 08-21-2012, 20:17   #6 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekool84 View Post
I tried to show where the leak is in this picture. It is right behind the bumper in this line that I drew in red. A clamp holds the lines in place at that point and I think it rusted through.

It looks like I can disconnect the line from behind the radiator and maybe put a high pressure hose or clamp on the line. I don't know how well that would work....

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Key words there, it's behind the bumper. There's 2 lines that feed back to the transmission, the guzzin and the guzzout. The lines are attached via either an inverted flare fitting, or a form of compression fitting. The lines maybe hard piped all the way back to the transmission or they may be flex hoses with metal pipe crimped on to the ends. I don't recommend using a hose clamp, if you have corrosion, it can contaminate the transmission and further leaks will develop. If the cooler lines are flex hose with crimped ends, I recommend that you check out a Ford dealership if a regular vender doesn't carry the OEM line. If they are hard piped, you can bend new lines carefully so as not to kink them either in part or the entire line.
Old 08-21-2012, 20:57   #7 (permalink)

Thanks!

They are definitely hard piped that connect to a flew hose once the hard pipe gets behind the radiator.

I will have top check a dealership as I could not find this part anywhere!

How would I be able to bend new lines? Don't I need the special 'pipe' that is visible in the picture?
Old 08-22-2012, 03:21   #8 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Please trace your lines out again. I think what you're looking at is the power steering cooler. The transmission cooler is physically built into the radiator.
Old 08-22-2012, 18:09   #9 (permalink)

I found the part!!

It is the trans cooler as was said earlier. Now...is it worth $140..... to keep the car going? or do I just sell it for scrap and get a new car....

Thanks All!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (53.2 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by joekool84; 08-22-2012 at 18:24. Reason: Update
Old 08-22-2012, 18:35   #10 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

It could be an aftermarket transmission cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar