1999 windstar charging problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 21:45   #1 (permalink)

Question 1999 windstar charging problem

Here we go, about 2 weeks ago my water pump seized up, during the replacement of the water pump I noticed my alternator had several huge cracks all through out the caseing of it and several on the spokes that connected to the pulley. I called a shop and they to replace it even though it works just fine due to the fact that when I would be driving that the pulley might just snap the spokes and come off. So I replaced the alternator, after 1 day of driving my battery was dead I go it jump things seemed to be fine, later that night my car was idealing strange 1000 rpm to about 650 rpm at a s5op and the headlights and dash lights would go dim then brighten back up. Next day the battery lift on the dash came on, I took back to the parts store they tested it and said alternator isn't putting out the right volts said around 10.5 to 11 volts. So they replaced it. I put the new one in everything worked fine then my battery died a few days later. I then replaced the battery again everything w9rked fine for a few more days then while I was driving the idealing started up ain't and lights flickering and battery light came on. Took it back down to the store they said it was the alternator again not putting out the right volts. They upgraded me to a higher performance alternator thinking it might fix the problem. I put this new one in and when I turned it over lights al started dimming and battery light came strategy on. Went pack to the store and they told me that there is no way I got 3 b!d alternators in a row and that it was my car that's the problem.

To add to the problem now one of my passenger tail lights do not even work now, the bulbs are good the fuse is fine.I have done some research on that part, only thong I found out was it could be the rear electronic module. My question is could that also be affecting my alternator charging problem. Please help this has been a long couple of weeks. I never had any of these problems before with the old parts until I replaced the alternator. Thanks for looking.
grad05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2011, 22:26   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 1999 windstar charging problem

There could be a poor connection in the circuit when you replaced it. As for the tail light, I would get the proper battery charge rate fixed before worrying about that. It may just be a poor voltage problem. Go to Autozones website and look at the wiring diagram for the alternator and check it out. It may still be the alternator.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar