1999 Windstar won't stay running now - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 10:22   #1 (permalink)

1999 Windstar won't stay running now

Had an issue with the fuel pump which turned out to be a loose ground to the PCM. Van ran fine for a few days and around 200 miles. This morning it died my wife and now it won't stay running. Starts and runs at about 500 RPMs very roughly. and then dies after about 5-10 seconds. If you hold the gas down when it starts, it will stay running (the same way) for about 10 seconds and dies. Any ideas?
dcheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 18:51   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 1999 Windstar won't stay running now

Need to check fuel pressure, check spark, vacuum, any codes? plugged Cat even. Too many things can get you in that situation. Is your air stream clear?
Old 04-24-2013, 10:14   #3 (permalink)

Did not get to look at it at all until last night. It won't even start at all now. The fuel pump does kick on. I disconnected the fuel line before the filter and some residual gas ran out. I waited until it quit and had my wife turn the key on. Gas came out but not with any real pressure. It just kind of poured out as it did when I disconnected the line at first.
Can I test the fuel pressure at the engine if it is not actually running?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:50   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Yes you can.
Old 04-24-2013, 13:13   #5 (permalink)

Bert,
After looking up what the fuel pressure should be, I am pretty sure the pressure is too low as it only trickles out of the fuel line before the filter when the ignition is turned on.
Would that mean the pump needs to be replaced or is there something on the pump that could be bad that would be cheaper to replace?
Old 04-24-2013, 18:05   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I'm not familiar with trickles. Bypass the relay and see if it puts out about a qt. in 30 seconds. That'll show the volume but not the pressure.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:34   #7 (permalink)

It ended up being a combination of the fuel pump malfunctioning (the original pump) and being out of gas because of the malfunctioning pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar