2000 Windstar cruise control problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 14:46   #1 (permalink)

Question 2000 Windstar cruise control problems

Hello, from North Alabama.I've been researching the forums for several days and tried a few things, and now I'm hoping someone can head me in the right direction.I bought the 2000 windstar last winter because it had low miles and someone had kept it very clean.I noticed on a trip to Nashville a couple of times the cruise wouldn't stay in until I tried it a few times.This last trip it would not work at all.I've checked all the fuses and checked out good.I didn't get an owners manual so I checked them all.I did the KOEO test and didn't get any response.When looking at the switch on the master cylinder I can see fluid around the top of it,and cant see where it might be leaking a lot. I read where it might not kick in at slow speeds,is this true?I will add ,2 weeks ago My left brake bulb shot.Last week My right bulb shot.I had running lights both times ,just the brake filments blew.My air and everything else works.Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.OLJO FROM ALABAM
OLJOCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 20:54   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2000 Windstar cruise control problems

The switch on the master cylinder has to be good for the cruise control to work. If the wires to it are open or the switch is open, the cruise control won't work. The system also won't engage below around 30MPH.
Old 09-30-2011, 17:03   #3 (permalink)

Smile Re: 2000 Windstar cruise control problems

Thanks,Bert.I replaced the switch on the master cylinder today after work.I found a lot more fluid than I could see before. I also found ,looks like a fuse kit , maybe added by the previous owner?The tag on the kit say's they are not replaceble,and gives the kit # to replace it with.Could this be the added kit from a recall maybe? Tomorrow I am going to look at the kit a little closer and ohm across it.The switch I replaced was soaked in fluid and so were the wires around the fuses .I'll keep posting every time I find something untill I figure this out.Hopefully it will help someone else too. OLJO FROM ALABAM
Old 09-30-2011, 19:17   #4 (permalink)

Hi, I am looking forward to see the progress of your problem, goodluck.
corbitext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:28   #5 (permalink)

OK,this morning I took the fuse kit out of the line,ohm'd across it ,one fuse is blown.I hooked it up to the original wires and I have cruise control again.I still dont have cruise indication on the instrument panel,and I still cant get it to do a KOEO test.The tag on the fuse kit say's to replace the whole kit.It has 2 amp push in plugs that look replaceble.There must be another reason for replacing the whole kit.Any input on this?Maybe just too much fluid saturation to trust it?Is there a good online Ford parts store?OLJO FROM ALABAM
Old 10-01-2011, 21:01   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Here are a some of good ones. Ford Parts - Genuine OEM Ford Auto Parts at FordPartsGiant
www.partsguyed.com
TascaParts.com
Old 10-03-2011, 16:13   #7 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: 2000 Windstar cruise control problems

Thanks,Bert, and Corbitex .A local mechanic said brake fluid will clean up pretty good with water, and contact cleaner,so I cleaned the old fuse kit,and am letting it dry awhile.Then I will replace the fuses,ohm it out, and put it back in line.I really dont see why that wouldn't work.Unless someone knows something they could warn Me on this.Thanks for your input.This looks like a good site.OLJO FROM ALABAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar