2000 Windstar Heater - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 09:18   #1 (permalink)

2000 Windstar Heater

2000 Windstar van. Heater does not blow hot or even warm air. Air is cold as the outside air. Bought this van used. Where should I start to look for the problem?
covinaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2008, 07:25   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 2000 Windstar Heater

First, back flush the heater core as it might be clogged (rust is the usual culprit). There is a kit you can get to implement your garden hose so you don't have to take it into a shop - but if you're unsure about doing uplevel jobs yourself, it's better to take it in for a full diagnostic check. With that said, if the core isn't clogged, then it is probably a door actuator problem. I'd get a Haynes or Chilton's manual as it's a tough job to tackle yourself, but you'll save $800 in labour costs alone.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 19:22   #3 (permalink)

I have the same problem with my 1999 Windstar. Fortunately I work with a certified Ford Master Mechanic. In addition to the many years of experience he has workng on Ford products, he also has access to the ebsite "alldata". He also suggested checking the coolant lines to the heater first. He suggested running the engine until is was thoroughly warm, then checking to see if both the inlet and return heater core hoses were roughly the same temperature. In my case they were, so I went a little further. He provided a list of troubleshooting steps that would tell where the trouble was.

After going through all the diagnostic steps, I determined it was the blend door. I pulled the radio to check the function of the blend door motor - it works fine. I then pulled the heater core cover down far enough that I could get a hand to the door, and sure enough, there it is, just flapping loosely in the wind, no longer connected to the motor.

I hope your search doesn't end with a broken blend door; I will watch to find out.

In the meantime. if anybody does know of a short cut fix for broken blend doors, I have two - both the front and the rear. According to my coworker, to replace the blend door in the front, you have to pull the dash and repace the entire heater housing. My son who is also a mechanic agreed with thatwhen I spoke with him on the phone. This is a big job, probably an entire weekend, and winter is not that far away in Michigan.

Thanks.

Rich
rhilsbos@yahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:24   #4 (permalink)

OUCH!

I just joined this forum because my Mom recently bought a 2000 Windstar. I had to work when she went to look at it and knew she would love it and may overlook things so I sent my wife with her. That evening they came home with it. I wasn't worried as I had instructed my wife to check the heater as well as several other things.

When I drove it I checked it out for my self. The heater doesn't blow hot at all in the front but very hot (ford hot) in the rear. And there is only one place that you can put the temperature slide and not hear it clicking (behind the radio vicinity) like something is unhooked and being pulled against something turning. Not fast but just a click a second or so.

Just how big of a job is this? I don't mind it much as long as I don't have to unhook the A/C lines. Can anyone give me an idea about this? I've got a book in the van but haven't looked at it yet. I'll have to do it soon because it is already getting cold in the mornings and I'm sure they'll be a frost before long at all.

BTW, nice forum. Found the answer to my question the first search and with ease. I appreciate any responses/help with this.

Thanks,
Kevin
kreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar