2000 windstar SEL fuel consumption - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 18:20   #1 (permalink)

2000 windstar SEL fuel consumption

hello i am the new owner of a 2000 windstar sel , which rides great however i am getting bad gas mileage 10 mpg city 12 mpg hwy the van has 100,000 miles but runs great what can i do to get better gas mileage what is normal mpg for this van. right now im scared if 10 mpg is normal i have already changed airfilter fuel filter and the van passes a ny state inspection i would like to change the spark plugs and wires would that make a difference in gas mileage is there anything else i can change or look for. thank you
ghepardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008, 13:06   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2000 windstar SEL fuel consumption

Check Engine light on?

Oxygen sensor might need replacing but in all honesty the vehicle is a turd. We are retiring our 95 van today. It was the worst vehicle we've ever owned.

I have a 96 Ford F250 351w and I get better gas than that. That motor they used in the windstars is TERRIBLE.

Sorry to break this to you. But if you're not in a position to buy another vehicle I would look to ox sensor and maybe some other memebers can shed some light on how to improve the mileage.
GeorgeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 20:45   #3 (permalink)

thank you i am starting to think i made a big mistake buying this van , check engine light is NOT on engine runs great otherwise only problem is gas mileage. there are no other symptoms only very bad gas mileage i am going to cross my fingers and change the oxy sensor along with new plugs and wires and hope for something better than 10 MPG. i met someone today same van model and year and he said he gets about 17 mpg city and 23 hwy, now i realize why i got it at a low price lol who ever had it before me was going broke at the pump
Old 09-08-2008, 22:19   #4 (permalink)

Yeah ours was terrible too. I think my wife was getting around 12-14 to the gallon which in my opinion is bad for a 6cyl. We are getting a 2004 Durango with about 65k for around 7k from my wifes sister. She cant afford the gas and doesnt need it as its too big. We have 4 kids ages 7,5,3, and 1 so its got just the perfect amount of room plus 5 doors. I'm not a big dodge fan but we really have no choice since funds are limited. Its a good deal at that price and she bought it brand new so we know its been taken care of. (my father in law has all the cars serviced). But that POS van had one slider and you couldnt even buckle the kids in back without getting in the vehicle with them. Did I mention the 747 jumbo jet front doors? Witn both opened you could actually fly the van. The dumbest, dookiest doors I have ever had the pleasure of opening in my entire 33 years on this planet.
GeorgeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:49   #5 (permalink)

I have a 2001 SEL and it gets around 24mpg on the hwy. I would take it to a good mechanic and have them run OBD codes to determine the source of your problem.
Your local AutoZone will run the codes for free. The issue could be as simple as a clogged PVC value or your EGR valve. Both are inexpensive to replace. If the engine seems to run well, otherwise, then I would speculate you don't have a major issue.

As far as the Windstar SEL, overall, it is a great vehicle. Once you get your issue corrected, you can enjoy all of its positives.

At 100,000 miles, your spark plugs have seen their lifespan. Ford uses Platinum plugs that should be changed before 100K miles. Change your plugs with new Platinum plugs, replace your air filter, fuel filter, and PVC valve. This should improve your gas mileage immediately. If not, then have the OBD codes read to determine error codes with the engine and emissions control.
dwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 19:35   #6 (permalink)

do the basics...give it a tune up...change the Air/Fuel filters...plugs...pvcvalve...etc...
Sterling_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 21:23   #7 (permalink)

wow i feel better now knowing the van should be getting better gas mileage. OBD codes will that work even though the check engine light is not on ? so far i changed the airfilter pcv valve and gas filter, this week i will change the plugs and wires and post back i appreciate all the help thank you to everyone , i took a 200 mile drive the other day and got 11 mpg mostly highway honestly i love the van rides great i just have to get better gas mileage or the FOR SALE sign will be taped to the window . thanks again to everyone for all the help
Old 09-10-2008, 21:26   #8 (permalink)

P.S my 1990 302 5.0 mustang gets better gas mileage lol
Old 09-13-2008, 12:17   #9 (permalink)
canuck

Stupid question, but is the van running in overdrive on the interstate?

The 3.8L was a good engine and Ford's aren't known for best in class fuel economy. My taurus with the 3.0L engine (earlier windstars had this engine too but weighed 300lbs less) and it averages 17mpg all in town and 28hwy. As stated above a V8 durango gets similar fuel economy numbers. All city driving my big 5.9L V8 AWD consumes 13mpg around town and up to 19mpg highway! The biggest fuel economy factor is weight. A friend of mine has a 2003 Caravan and he removed all the seats and gained 2mpg in city driving alone. Of course if you need the seats , removing them can't help you.

However, a tune up will help immensely, especially if it hasn't been done in 30,000miles. Don't believe Ford when they say you can go 100K between tune ups.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 21:03   #10 (permalink)

yes sir she is in overdrive on the interstate i never switch it off even in the city i am starting to see more and more 2000 windstar drivers and they state average 17 city 24 highway so i hope a tuneup with bring this van back to life , i just got all the plugs and wires etc, i am scared when i realized the back plugs are going to be hard to get to i am not looking forward to changing the back plugs and wires i need a full day in case i screw up will do it asap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar