2000 Windstar Speedo 1/2 of actual speed - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 13:04   #1 (permalink)

2000 Windstar Speedo 1/2 of actual speed

Hello all, new to the forum and hoping someone can shed some light on this one. I replaced the V.S.S that was accessible through the driver's wheel well but the speedo still reads off. Also got a new cluster, but still using the first PC board with PATS from the old cluster, and no effect. There were some cold solder joints on that PC Board and I fixed them too. Alldata shows a second V.S.S on top of the tranny behind the engine but it's not very accessible so I'd prefer somebody verify that that's the sensor that governs the speedo before I go after it. Thanks in advance, Tom
WhuWantzaWinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 16:58   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2000 Windstar Speedo 1/2 of actual speed

As far as I know, there's only one VSS and it's where you mentioned. I don't know what you changed.
Old 12-07-2011, 17:20   #3 (permalink)

I replaced the one all the parts stores here stock, and it's listed as the Input speed sensor on RockAuto.com. I'm hoping I don't have to replace the Output Speed sensor because of it's god-forsaken location. Is it common for them to read about 1/2 with a bad Output speed sensor?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VSS1.jpg (9.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg VSS2.jpg (9.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-07-2011, 19:03   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The output is the one that shows the vehicle speed.
Old 12-08-2011, 21:21   #5 (permalink)

I'll order one from RockAuto and put it in, it just really looks tough to get to. Thanks for confirming it for me.
Old 02-03-2012, 13:29   #6 (permalink)

Exclamation Re: 2000 Windstar Speedo 1/2 of actual speed

Well my friend I've been searching this illusive problem for the past year & finally found the culprit today. My 2000 SEL was doing the same thing only reading 1/2 the true speed + the abs light was on all the time. After spending countless hours surfing I paid an online mechanic to diagnose my problem. That cost me dearly because he told me the problem was the abs control module. Spending a good part of a day just removing this part and replacing it to find out the van was still doing the same thing. I cleaned all 4 wheel speed sensors. and still a no go. I was on the verge of replacing the output speed control sensor at the back of the engine ( a very difficult job from what I've read on many other sites I decided to recheck the front wheel speed sensors and found the left side to be faulty thus only giving a half speed on the speedo. I did this by jacking the van & unplugging one speed sensor at a time and running in gear. The right side plugged in & left side unplugged showed the speedo at 1/2 speed but when I unplugged the right side and tried the left one I had no speedo reading at all. So voila I had found the culprit. Picked up new part & installed & presto everything is back to normal. Speedometer is A OK & ABS light is no longer on in dash. I hope this info will help others with 1/2 speed problems. Don't spend a lot of money and time changing unnecessary parts. Try this first it don't cost any thing except a little time and quite easy to do.
foune is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar