2000 Windstar Speedometer Quit ????? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 11:38   #1 (permalink)

2000 Windstar Speedometer Quit ?????

I have a '00 Windbag that has had a intermittent speedometer which has now stopped working altogether. Along with this I have no Cruise Control. I took the POS to have speed sensor checked and they (Ammco transmission) told me there was nothing wrong with the sensor. This sensor is impossible to get at and would have cost me $250. The idiot light is NOT on and I need to get this van inspected soon. ANY help will be greatly appreciated. FYI..ABS light is on because the right front wheel sensor broke when I replaced the wheel bearing. BUT the speedometer was working for a while after this. :: ??

Rob
Wife is driving me crazy about this.
RobbyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2009, 18:00   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2000 Windstar Speedometer Quit ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyEMT View Post
I have a '00 Windbag that has had a intermittent speedometer which has now stopped working altogether. Along with this I have no Cruise Control. I took the POS to have speed sensor checked and they (Ammco transmission) told me there was nothing wrong with the sensor. This sensor is impossible to get at and would have cost me $250. The idiot light is NOT on and I need to get this van inspected soon. ANY help will be greatly appreciated. FYI..ABS light is on because the right front wheel sensor broke when I replaced the wheel bearing. BUT the speedometer was working for a while after this. :: ??

Rob
Wife is driving me crazy about this.

Hello and good day:

Sorry to hear about the Wife Is the Speedometer a Cable or a Electric type?? Refer to it as a Manual or Digital Display model.

Please advise??
Old 06-17-2009, 07:31   #3 (permalink)

I've been asked this question before...It's a manuel display. I don't believe they made a digital display for this year Windstar ?? Please help ?
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling_Six View Post

Hello and good day:

Sorry to hear about the Wife Is the Speedometer a Cable or a Electric type?? Refer to it as a Manual or Digital Display model.

Please advise??
Old 06-17-2009, 19:00   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyEMT View Post
I've been asked this question before...It's a manuel display. I don't believe they made a digital display for this year Windstar ?? Please help ?
Rob

I believe you have a Broken Cable to the VSS,,,,and Transmission. I will have to check with a few of the guys here.

I will advise
Old 06-17-2009, 19:24   #5 (permalink)

Thanks...I'm wondering what the VSS is ?? I will more than likely attempt this myself unless it's out of the question. I've done everything form bearings, shocks, struts, waterpump bypass hoses, waterpump, heater acuator, door/lock acuators, tie rods ends, ball joints....ect. Thanks again.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling_Six View Post
I believe you have a Broken Cable to the VSS,,,,and Transmission. I will have to check with a few of the guys here.

I will advise
Old 06-18-2009, 18:26   #6 (permalink)

Vehicle Speed Sensor

Found this on Engine Light . com... Vehicle Speed Sensor Information - Description, Operation And Location

Vehicle Speed Sensor Description & Related Information

So what exactly is a speed sensor and what purpose does it serve? Well, to start there are a number of different types of sensors and most are used by multiple vehicle systems. Modern vehicles use multiplexing to share vehicle speed information between modules. For example, the Variable Assist Power Steering (VAPS) system uses Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) input to regulate power steering pressures for higher assist at slow speeds, making parking lot maneuvers easier to perform. The Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) uses VSS information to determine when a wheel is locked up and releases pressure to that wheel to maintain directional stability. Some vehicles use seperate sensors for the ABS, but it is common that the computer uses the information from the wheel sensors to act as a VSS. For example, many newer Ford vehicles use a rear axle mounted speed sensor for both ABS and computer related vehicle speed functions. Instrument Cluster (IC) and Hybrid Electric Cluster (HEC) modules use vehicle speed info for speedometer operation. Many advanced air suspension systems use VSS output to determine ride height. These vehicles are lowered at higher speeds for improved handling. Transmissions rely on VSS information for shift strategy. Cruise control systems rely on the VSS for knowing when to activate and deactivate the system and also to maintain a constant speed. All Electronic Engine Control (EEC) systems utilize speed sensor information in one way or another. The list goes on, but I'm sure we can understand the importance of this sensor's correct operation.

Most newer Vehicle Speed Sensors are of the permanent magnet type, and function much the same as a camshaft or crankshaft sensor. The sensors can be mounted either in the transmission case or rear differential assembly. Those in the transmission are typicaly gear driven, and those in the differential function by using a trigger wheel mounted with the ring gear. Both style sensors perform the same task. Driveability symptoms caused by a faulty sensor can vary greatly due to the number of tasks the sensor output is involved in. Most vehicle computers will set related check engine light codes for vehicle speed sensors that malfuction. But what if there are no codes? What should we look for? First, see if there are multiple systems with concerns that can be realated to a faulty speed sensor. For instance, if our transmission is shifiting poorly and our speedometer is not working, then we may have a speed sensor problem. If our anti-lock brakes are erratic and our cruise control stopped working at the same time, then you guessed it, we have a possible VSS fault.

So how do we test for a suspect VSS? If you have a scan tool available then pull up the VSS value and check for erratic or faulty readings. Follow up with component and wiring tests as needed. If no scan tool is at hand there are a couple of tests we can do. First find a resistance value for a new sensor, and check for proper resistance across the sensor terminals. Perform wiring tests as outlined in our Automotive Circuit Testing article and check connectors for corrosion or poor connections. Also, check for metal contaminiation on the magnetic pick-up and check trigger wheel or drive gears for damage. Due to the locations of many connectors, water intrusion can also be an issue, so check connectors carefully. Remember, even if a scan tool reading shows a faulty speed sensor signal, you will still need to check wiring and connectors before condemning the VSS. Also keep in mind that some vehicles have multiple, dedicated speed sensors, such as ABS Wheel speed Sensors and Transmission VSS for computer input. So always be sure you are testing the correct sensor! If you're unsure you can use the Get Help link to contact us and we can assist! I hope this information has been informative and helpful. Thanks, and enjoy the day!

If you find that you're in need of a replacement VSS, please visit one of our suggested parts suppliers. We research the leading companies for value and service and recommend only the best. You won't find better prices anywhere, and you can buy with peace of mind from reputable merchants! Thanks for stopping by, and have a great day!
Old 06-19-2009, 06:16   #7 (permalink)

I greatly appreciate this informaiton but this is not really specific to my vehicle. I am aware that there is a problem but "what" is the problem ?? I had the VSS checked by a transmission shop and they are saying that the sensor is NOT the problem. I broke the right front ABS sensor when I did the wheel bearing but the speedometer worked after that so I don't believe this is related. Let me ask this....where/how does the speedometer cable connect with the VSS ??
Also, the VSS is on top of the transmission and is completely impossible to get at. I know there's no direct connection to a "cable" of any sort. One end plugs into the transmission and the other has an electrical connection that goes to computer module. (i would think) Thanks again for your input.

Rob
Old 06-19-2009, 17:40   #8 (permalink)

OOOKKK
I am going to get in touch with some of the Guys here and Check on this.
Old 07-17-2009, 13:59   #9 (permalink)

Maybe you can rule something out by checking the HEC Dealer Test to see what speed your car is sensing. The lever guage style speedometer on that cluster isn't the only way to see what speed your car is reading... and the other way I'm about to tell you will show the result as a digital reading with tenths of a mile per hour accuracy. Turn the Windstar ignition to the off position. Hold the Odometer Reset button in while turning the windstart to the Start position and starting the van. Then continue holding the odometer reset in until the word tESt shows up on your odometer. Immediately let go of the reset button and begin tapping it to scroll through various test modes. One of them will cause Spd to be displayed in your odometer, followed by a number. This is your digital speed reading. There are two versions of this for MPH and KMPH, so there are two tests for Spd. While you drive you can look at this speed reading and see if the problem is your physical guage or the value the car is reading. You might already know the answer to this, but at the very least it's a fun thing to play with.
Keyosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 14:18   #10 (permalink)

I have a 95 3.8 that is showing a speed sensor fault. This is a $25 part at the Ford dealer, but I hear it is very hard to replace. Where exactly on the tranny is it located? Can it be replaced through the engine compartment, or must one get under the van.

I can't find any good info in Chilton, Motors, or anywhere. Does anyone have a pix of this thing on the tranny? Tnanks
vamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar