Ford Forums banner

2000 winstar runs rough

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Unregistered 
#1 ·
Help!

I have a 2000 windstar 3.8 and it starts up okay when cold and I can drive it for an hour or two. but when I try and start it again after sitting for a minute or two then it will run very rough. if it runs at all. I've changed the fuel pump, drained the gas tank, changed the IAC valve, the IMRC control the o2 sensor, and spark plugs all to no avail. fuel mixture showed up lean on the scanner codes. I'll try scanning the computer again tommorrow.

G
#2 ·
Something unpleasant I just went through, replacing the intake manifold gaskets.

If one or both (as in my case) are leaking (failing), coolant can enter the intake ports in the intake manifold. Yes coolant runs through the aluminum intake manifold.

A sitting vehicle that has been driven, produces pressure in the cooling system.

While sitting, the small leak can be depositing coolant toward or into a cylinder (if the intake valve happened to be open when the engine stopped rotation).

Then start your engine and rought running happens as the coolant fouls the cylinder.

On my Windstar the smell of coolant at the tailpipe was obvious. Should you detect this, I suggest you get the repair done before driving any more at all.

Unfortunately this is a common flaw on Windstars, these gaskets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.