2001 E150 Econoline ignition coil problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2009, 04:28   #1 (permalink)

2001 E150 Econoline ignition coil problems

Hi! My first post!
I have an 01 e150 econoline van. From the beginning, I've had problems with the ignition coils constantly going bad. Each of the eight have been replaced once, some twice. I did some serarching, and I don't see many other complaints about this, but my mechanic says he works on a lot of Fords with this same problem. I keep hoping to see some kind of recall, or even better a class action lawsuit against Ford, but it's looking like neither of those will happen.
Any insight or advice? Is there a particular brand that will last any longer? Any way of preventing these from CONSTANTLY going bad? I'm having to drop $200 bucks on a new one at least every 3-6 mos.

TIA!
jetset516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2009, 07:57   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2001 E150 Econoline ignition coil problems

Where is he getting them? OEM and Napa are the ones we've used and not had reoccurances like that.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:40   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
Where is he getting them? OEM and Napa are the ones we've used and not had reoccurances like that.
I honestly don't know. I'm also wondering if he's charging me a bit too much. I see them sold on the web for $40-$60 bucks, and with labor I'm paying $190 for each. Is there *that* much labor involved?
Old 10-16-2009, 12:22   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Some of them are easy to get to and some are very hard to do. That's why it's best to get the OEM or at least high quality coils.
Old 10-17-2009, 16:38   #5 (permalink)

Sorry...what's OEM?
Old 10-17-2009, 20:24   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Original Equipment Manufacture, in other words, from the dealer or Motorcraft.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:52   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset516 View Post
Hi! My first post!
I have an 01 e150 econoline van. From the beginning, I've had problems with the ignition coils constantly going bad. Each of the eight have been replaced once, some twice. I did some serarching, and I don't see many other complaints about this, but my mechanic says he works on a lot of Fords with this same problem. I keep hoping to see some kind of recall, or even better a class action lawsuit against Ford, but it's looking like neither of those will happen.
Any insight or advice? Is there a particular brand that will last any longer? Any way of preventing these from CONSTANTLY going bad? I'm having to drop $200 bucks on a new one at least every 3-6 mos.

TIA!

Mine is a 2001 e150 also and I am in the process of changing my second one. First one was chanmged on 7/7/2011 and now 5 months later I'm having to change my second one.....and you're right...at 145 bucks a pop , its gettingto be a hassle............ 75,000 miles on the odo...At this rate it's gonna cost $1,015 bucks before it's over with and that's just changing them one time.... F*^$^**g fords!
Harley 2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:47   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You may not have to replace them all. We've replaced one or two on different ones and had some at 300,000 miles with the originals.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar