Ford Forums banner

2001 ford windstar o/d light flashing

11K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  emilford 
#1 ·
i got a 01 windstar that after being on the highway for about 20 to 30 mins drops out of o/d then the o/d off light starts flashing and i can feel it going in and out of o/d. so i stopped and shut the van off checked the fluid and everything seemed so started the van back up and the light wasnt flashing then about another 10 mins of driving the highway it did it again and i noticed that after the light starts flashing it shifts really hard

#12 ·
from what im getting it rebuild time or replace but if my reading is right these trans are know for going bad so its a shot in the dark if i find a good one never knew about the problems these trans had before buying this vehicle 6 days ago now im learning quick got quoted 1200$ for a rebuild but cant afford that needed a good family car and ended up with this shit

#18 ·
Hi, I had the same problem. This is what I found after inspecting everything. I had a brake fluid leak from the master cylinder. At the end of the master cylinder you will see the pressure switch with two wires. It was leaking from there and if you look under it, you will found the transmission range sensor. The brake fluid was dripping on top of the range switch and cause is corrosive liquid it ruined the range sensor. I ended up replacing both. Easy job. Anyway even if you dont have a brake fluid leak you should try with replacing the transmission range sensor. Good luck :hy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.