2001 Windstar driver door lock not working - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 12:02   #1 (permalink)
Luc

2001 Windstar driver door lock not working

Hi, I am new to this forum. It appears to be really helpfull. I have a problem with the driver door lock. All doors open with the remote except the driver side. The keyless pad seems to work O.K. because it locks all doors except driver door. I took the actuator out and conected it directly to 12V, and it worked fine. I don't seem to have voltage to the solenoid( actuator) I followed the wiring back through the door to the van. I tested cotinuity at the connector and it is O.K. The wire then seems to go under the floor??? any ideas where I should be looking next??????

Thanks.
Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 12:53   #2 (permalink)
Luc

Re: 2001 Windstar driver door lock not working

O.K. i found a wiring diagram. I have continuity right up to the front electronic control modual. is there a part fried in there??? should i change the modual???
Old 10-30-2010, 13:06   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

My guess is that the module is the problem. Make sure all of the connectors on the module are secure. There have been cases of water leaking down on it from the windshield.
Old 10-30-2010, 13:07   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Came across this before I seen your second post , might be something in it that could give you a clue to fault .

How do you repair a Windstar door lock actuator?
In: Ford Windstar [Edit categories]

Answer
Repair would be to replace and I have no direct knowledge of the 99 model but my 2001 wasn't so hard and I would guess that the 99 will be a similar replacement.

* Remove the door panel, on the 2001 it's 2 screws located on the inside door handle, 2 on the bottom and one at the top near the mirror.

* With that removed you take off the foam panel and expose the inside of the door.

* The lock actuators are easy to find, they are attached to the lock rod. There is one electrical connector on it that is taken off by lifting the lock clip using a slot screwdriver then just pull the connector out.

* The actuator itself is a bit odd to get out.
To look at the new one it seemed to me that it would click in from the top but after doing the first one I saw that it actually SLIDES in from the direction of the outside of the door.
I found a very thin narrow slit located where the striker hits the lock on the outside door jam and this goes directly to the side of the actuator. I fashioned a tool from a narrow putty knife then pushed it into the slit and then pushed onto the actuator releasing the little friction clip that you can see on the new actuator.

You then have to push and push this whole thing towards the outside wall of the door which doesn't go too easily. On my passenger side i resorted to a long slot screwdriver to use as a lever to help slide the thing forward because it didn't want to budge.

The good thing though is that the new ones slide right into place easily.

* Another thing, the pin on the actuator that moves the lock-rod just sits inside the lock-rod, there is no mechanical attachment and it fairly loose so no need to worry about that part of it. ----

Another Procedure Write-up

# Remove the retainer screw from the door handle cover and remove

# Remove the screw from the bottom left corner of the door panel

# Pull the door panel away from the door, starting at the bottom (may need to start with door half open then close fully to remove). Lift up and off the door

# Peel back the door insulation by working gently at edges

# Remove 3 black screws from the face of the door latch mechanism

# Disconnect the controller arm at the top of the door latch mechanism that connects to the outside door handle. The plastic connector will push up from the metal arm after the locking tabs are pushed in

# Open the door half way and remove the 3 screws from the side of the door around the door latch

# The door latch mechanism is now able to be removed out from the inside of the door. The black wire cables may need to be removed from some of the retaining clamps

# The lock actuator can be removed. The actuator body will twist out of the spring clamp. Then the bar at the end of the actuator can be removed by turning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another Procedure Write-up

For a 2001 SEL, which likely applies to all 1999-2003 models:

Some of the other procedures here attempt to not have to remove the latch & lock assembly. I found it immensely easier to get the assembly loosened to the point where I could see the backside where the actuator slides into the assembly. The adds a couple of extra steps, but, it was less frustrating than trying to work blind in the corner of the inside of the door.

Tools needed:

7mm or 9/32 socket with 6" extension
11mm socket
Small to medium prying tools. I use a $3 set of nylon ones from Harbor Freight
Razor blade / knife

T30 star fastener bit - for the door latch to door fasteners
Magnetic tray to help avoid losing parts & screws
Flashlight if your eyes are 2 days past "middle-age"

Remove two (2) 7mm screws at the bottom corners of the door panel
Remove two (2) 7mm screws just below the pull-handle - actually they just stayed in the deep access holes and didn't come out
Remove the black triangle cover at the top front corner
NOTE: there is a friction-clip near the top of the triangle. Pry/pull at the top to release and then lift up & away. Don't pry at the bottom like I did, or you'll just break-off the internal clip. No real harm as the cover is pretty sturdy even without it

Remove the now-visible 7mm screw from the top front corner of the panel
Remove the clip-in cover behind the door handle
NOTE: the friction-clip is at the front of the cover. Pry it up a bit and pull the cover towards the front of the door to clear the other hooks

The panel will now lift-up and away from the door. There are NO friction-clips so don't waste your time prying the panel away, just lift
Release two (2) wiring connectors at the topside of the panel - push-in clips to release the connector
Optional: If your door has the courtesy light, turn the light socket counter-clockwise to release from the panel. Whew! The door panel is now free of the door

The foam cover is lightly glued to the door - gently pull it away. The razor blade/knife will help you keep from tearing the material

Inside the door

There are 2 wiring connectors, only 1 of which goes to the door lock. I released the bottom connector earlier-on, and the other one was easier to release after the assembly is loose

Remove three (3) 11mm nuts that hold the exterior door handle cover
Try and wriggle the door handle to slide it off the top of the connector rod. There's a 90 degree turn to get through, but it should slide & wriggle past it and off the rod

Release the inside door handle cable from the nylon holder-clip. Just provides more wriggle-room
Remove the three (3) T30 mounting screws from the door latch on the end of the door

With the entire assembly loose inside the door, you should be able to turn and wriggle it around the internal window support and get it out to the largest opening in the door to work on it
NOTE: the interior door handle cable, exterior door handle connector rod, doorlock manual operation rod and maybe even the second wire connector are still hooked onto the assembly - but there's enough play to get the assembly out to the opening for clear access

The actuator itself slides on/off the assembly from the outside side of the door. Take note of the retainer-clip on the new one, and then spot it on the old one - press it in and push / slide the actuator off the assembly

Overall, not a bad job and I wouldn't hesitate to do the next one.

Almost forgot to tell you where I bought my part. Autozone wanted $70-100, and one of the local salvage yards priced a used one at $30. I bought a brand new one from RockAuto.com for $32 plus $3 shipping.
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 13:38   #5 (permalink)
Luc

Thanks for the info guys!!!

i guess will live with the problem.
Old 10-30-2010, 15:20   #6 (permalink)
Luc

I was Thinking! Is there any way that i could wire the left door actuator with the other door actuaters since all the other door are controled by the rear control module????

Thanks
Old 10-30-2010, 16:00   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You could try connecting the yellow with the light blue, light green, or violet and the red/orange with the red, orange/green, or the gray wire. If it needs to be reversed, just switch the yellow and the red/orange wire positions.

Old 10-30-2010, 20:02   #8 (permalink)
Luc

Thanks Bert. I might try that on a long cold winter day when i have nothing to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar

Related Reading: 2001 Windstar driver door lock not working