2001 Windstar Electrical Issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 19:40   #1 (permalink)

2001 Windstar Electrical Issues

This is my first post and I have a major Windstar issue. So if anyone can help thanks!

My 2001 Windstar has a problem. It has no rear lights: interior, brake, reverse, running, high mounted brake lights and on top of that the lift gate lock doen't work. So far I have checked the fuses, pulled the interior and checked the wires under the carpet, changed the REM, checked the ground in that same area and still nothing.

Help Please ! Steve
sgilbert14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2009, 22:18   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2001 Windstar Electrical Issues

Thre's a rear electric control module located in the Right rear area a little behind the wheel well area. That controls all the lights you mentioned. Start with looking there. Here's one diagram to start. let us know if you need more. This is probably where you'll find the problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rmodule.jpg (126.1 KB, 79 views)
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:30   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply.

I found and changed that module if that's the Rear Electronics Module (REM) that you mean. It's located under the jack. Nothing changed when I did this. Could a bad relay do this? If so how can they be checked?

Thanks for the diagram. Everything that is pictures are my issues. If there something that controls the information/power that is fed into the module? If the info is not getting there then it still would not work.

When I try to pull the code the machine reads link error. Checked it on another car and it worked fine so could this also be part of the issue?

Thanks again,
Old 08-12-2009, 14:40   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The diagram shows the power feeds to it. Check that and see what you find. Also check the grounds.
Old 08-12-2009, 14:51   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Here are the other 2 diagrams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rearm.jpg (125.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Module rear.jpg (110.9 KB, 51 views)
Old 08-12-2009, 18:59   #6 (permalink)

Thanks and I will do that. Looking at the diagrams that you attached they say the grounds are listed on page 8 and 10. Do you happen to have these? If not I'll try to trace the wires to the ground locations, but they could save a time of time.

Thanks Again,
Old 08-12-2009, 21:05   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The diagram on page 8 and 10 just shows the same as what I posted with only the grounds showing. The ground location shows G300 is in the LH B pillar and the G301 is in the RH rear quarter panel.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:18   #8 (permalink)

Thank you. I was lookinh in the wrong location for the 300. I'll get back to this later today and let you know. This is the last thing that i need to get working before I can get this on the road.
Old 08-16-2009, 14:38   #9 (permalink)

Well, I feel stupid. I looked at the ground under the driver's tail lap (IS this the one you were talking about?) and just didn'e see the thing. Cleaned it and still nothing. I also went back through all the fuses and found some BIG things out. The fuses that do not have power to them are: 1 all the inside lights,7 turn, backup park, license lights,12 high mount stop,8 REM, sliding door and lift gate locks,13 more turn, park and stop lamps,15 counsole power point. These were all on the inside. Number 15 T&T park lamps was all that was out on the ourside.

Learned a few things and that is first - Don't listen when you are told that things were tested and second - test things out yorself even if they were.

Does this point better as to what is wrong or does it mean that there is a BIGGER issue to solve.

Thanks a ton. I hope this helps? Top it all off a broke a bolt in the clutch case of my motorcycle last night up in the mountains so even more fun.
Old 08-16-2009, 17:59   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I tlooks like the power relay might be the problem if fuse 114 under the hood is good. Here are the diagrams for the system and the fuse boxes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Central box.jpg (53.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Battery fuse.jpg (99.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 13-6.jpg (102.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 13-13.jpg (98.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 13-14.jpg (103.7 KB, 47 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar