2003 windstar another door ajar problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 15:53   #1 (permalink)

2003 windstar another door ajar problem

2003 Windstar driver front door.

I keep getting the dreaded door ajar warning and I know it coming from the driver front door.

I purchased a new door ajar switch from Ford ($30) and replaced the switch. It still has the problem.

I noticed the latch is not fully engaging when closing to trigger the switch. I was able to make things work by triggering the latch (like closing the door) manually with a screw driver. I also noticed some plastic inside the latch that is coming off. So it appears the latch is not moving the last little bit when closing. I tried to adjust the door post metal ring (the one that the latch hits when closing the door) to make the latch work. This did not help.

I think the latch needs to be replaced. I think the cam inside the latch that hits the door ajar switch is worn and not fully engaging the button/switch on the door ajar switch. I also noticed the plastic coming off inside the latch from wear. So I was thinking of replacing the latch assembly that cost about $42.

Any thoughts on this? Does replacing the latch seem like a good approach?
boierlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2009, 11:46   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2003 windstar another door ajar problem

Hi Boierlman,

My 2006 Freestar does not have anything around the door or door frame that resembles a sensor switch. In the older cars, they used to be very obvious - like a small pushbutton switch. Please tell me exactly where the switches are and how to find them? Do you know where I can get a wiring diagram?
VirgilLoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:49   #3 (permalink)
canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by boierlman View Post
2003 Windstar driver front door.

I keep getting the dreaded door ajar warning and I know it coming from the driver front door.

I purchased a new door ajar switch from Ford ($30) and replaced the switch. It still has the problem.

I noticed the latch is not fully engaging when closing to trigger the switch. I was able to make things work by triggering the latch (like closing the door) manually with a screw driver. I also noticed some plastic inside the latch that is coming off. So it appears the latch is not moving the last little bit when closing. I tried to adjust the door post metal ring (the one that the latch hits when closing the door) to make the latch work. This did not help.

I think the latch needs to be replaced. I think the cam inside the latch that hits the door ajar switch is worn and not fully engaging the button/switch on the door ajar switch. I also noticed the plastic coming off inside the latch from wear. So I was thinking of replacing the latch assembly that cost about $42.

Any thoughts on this? Does replacing the latch seem like a good approach?
Before you replace the latch. Make sure the door hasn't 'sunk' down. The average driver uses the door as leverage to get in/out of the vehicle. Over a certain amount of time the hinges/etc will bend ever so slightly. If you can hold the door around the window (with the window down of course), lift it up and hear a 'clunk' noise then that would be the culprit and replacing the switch as you mentioned may solve the problem, but if the alignment is causing problems, then a new switch wouldn't be a wise investment at this point. It always baffled me when a vehicle told me that a door was "a jar" when it's in fact "a door"!
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 13:09   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
It always baffled me when a vehicle told me that a door was "a jar" when it's in fact "a door"!
ajar = neither open or closed; slightly open
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 13:35   #5 (permalink)
canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
ajar = neither open or closed; slightly open
It still doesn't resemble a JAR lol.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 21:12   #6 (permalink)

One my 2003 Windstar I have to periodically clean the door sensors with cleaner and a strong rough pad.
geraldpavlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar