2005 Freestar trailer wiring?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2005, 17:35   #1 (permalink)

2005 Freestar trailer wiring??

Hey fellas,

I have installed a hitch on my van. By the spare tire is a round 4-pin plug I am assuming is for the lights. Can I just convert this to a flat 4-pin? Etrailer had a 50.00 T adapter but I don't need that.

Ford has a part to adapt with fuses and things according to the manual. The parts girl at the dealer didn't know anything but what was on her 'puter. It seems to me that all I have to do is convert that round plug if the circuits are protected.

Any info is apprec.

Andre
leblar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2006, 07:08   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2005 Freestar trailer wiring??

bump
leblar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 17:07   #3 (permalink)

These things are a pain in the A$$. I have a 2001 and have been battling with it for a long time. See the geniuses at FORD (Fix Or Repair Daily) have a system where a groun can and will become live. So unless you are willing to pay a couple of hundred dollars (mine costs CDN473.00)to have the dealer install the kit then you are looking at putting relays and stuff and a few hours of fun headaches. You could just try and ask at the service counter and if they are nice enough they might tell you and it might be a good Idea to buy the repair manual. I am about to give up but I am no quiter!! Damn it!!Anyways have fun.
wikkedGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 19:50   #4 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Yeah! For the Freestar, there is a kit that icludes relays, fuses, and wiring. If you can read instructions and have some patience, you can do the conversion yourself.

Do you need a part # for the kit? I can look it up for you so you can just order direct from the Dealer without the parts person getting you the wrong item.

Let me know, and I will get you the part# and price and post it here.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 16:57   #5 (permalink)

I also have an 05 Freestar, and just bought the kit from Ford that includes the relays, fuses and 4 way plug. My problem is, the wiring is all screwed up.

Here's how mine is working on the 4 way:

Green RT: activates on LT signal
Yellow LT: ground wire
White ground: activates on tail lights
Brown Tail.Marker: activates on RT signal

I don't mind re-wiring the pigtail that came in the kit, but this isn't something that I should have to do, and I want to make sure nothing will be harmed if I do.
derekmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:08   #6 (permalink)

SO has anyone run into the same problem I did? I got the kit from ford with the pigtail, realys, and fuses, but I dont have the harness in the back!!!! Is that something I have to add on??? Is it tucked up somewere where I cant see it??? Any help at all??
s1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 20:39   #7 (permalink)

DerekMac,

Did you figure out your prpblem? How did you fix if yo9u did? I am currently having the same issue and am trying to avoid splicing. Any info you have is helpful.

Thanks in advance.
smotho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:30   #8 (permalink)

I added a hitch and 4 pin connector just this year I got the wiring from Canadain tire not ford and I had to connect it on both rear taillights and there was a moduale that got connected also plus afused wire that ran to the battery. I will see if I can find the instuctions that I used to install cause I had to follow them very close and everything turned out perfect. The wiring is hid in the jack holding area in the back and you pull it out when you tow.
I also had to pull the drivers side rear panel off and on the flooor where rear door closes had to come off to put wires cause they go from oneside to the other.
s.cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar