2005Freestar Check Engine Light P2004 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 09:37   #1 (permalink)

2005Freestar Check Engine Light P2004

My check engine light came on in my 2005 Freestar. When I went to Advance Auto, they checked the code and it came back P2004. Intake manifold runner stuck open (bank 1)? Where are the IMRCs located on the Freestar? Is this fix a mechanic only type fix? How easy of a fix is it?
TomSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 18:20   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2005Freestar Check Engine Light P2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSimpson View Post
My check engine light came on in my 2005 Freestar. When I went to Advance Auto, they checked the code and it came back P2004. Intake manifold runner stuck open (bank 1)? Where are the IMRCs located on the Freestar? Is this fix a mechanic only type fix? How easy of a fix is it?

Hello and good day:

I found this at this Link ... 2003 Ford Ranger OBD CODES AND ENGINE OVERHEATING

"i think the lean issue is what cuased the overheating, it causes the vehicle to overheat due to the low combustion mixture.

P2004 Intake Manif Runner Ctrl Stuck Open Bank 1 could be an issue providing too much air causing the lean issue.

and since that side is lean it coul be putting in too much fuel into cylindrers 1 and 2 ccausing the missfire codes on its behalf.

so i would check the runners for the air intake and check out the [COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green !important]oxygen [COLOR=green !important]sensor[/color][/color][/color] on bank 1 and see how those are working.. reset the codes and see how it goes."

Also this Link may help... how to fix ford dtc P2004 - JustAnswer

Hi XXXXXXX.
Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.
. Locate the IMRC vacuum [COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green !important]solenoid[/color][/color], mounted at the top front of the intake manifold (it should be the vacuum solenoid that is the closest to the [COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green !important]throttle [COLOR=green !important]body[/color][/color][/color] of the 2 solenoids in that area). Verify manifold vacuum to the solenoid whenever the [COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green !important]engine[/color][/color] is running. Verify battery voltage to the Green/Orange wire at the solenoid whenever the key is on.

Locate the IMRC actuator below the throttle body. Check the vacuum line that runs from the IMRC solenoid to the actuator for leaks or restrictions. Verify that the IMRC actuator holds vacuum, and pulls the actuator rod in as vacuum is applied. Verify 5 volt reference voltage to the Black/Blue wire at the IMRC monitor (which is part of the actuator) with the key on, and ground on the Green/Blue wire. If OK, monitor the White/Red wire with the key on and the actuator electrical [COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green !important]connector[/color][/color] plugged in. The White/Red wire should have 5 volts when there is no vacuum to the actuator, and should drop to less than 0.2 volts when vacuum is applied and the actuator pulls in.

If all OK, start the engine, and check to see if the PCM grounds the Black/Red wire at the IMRC vacuum solenoid when the engine is idling. Verify that when the Black/Red wire is grounded, the IMRC solenoid supplies vacuum to the IMRC actuator, the IMRC monitor voltage on the White/Red wire drops to less than 0.2 volts, and the actuator rod pulls in. Then unplug the electrical connector from the IMRC solenoid, and verify that the vacuum to the actuator releases, the voltage on the White/Red wire goes back up to 5 volts, and the actuator rod extends back out.

Read more: how to fix ford dtc P2004 - JustAnswer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar