Ford Forums banner

2006 Ford Freestar instrument cluster BLACK OUT

43K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  mdchamp 
#1 ·
HI,

i have a problem with my instrument cluster on my 2006 ford freestar....everything works except the screen that shows the odometer reading/trip reading etc...has blacked out. What should i start with to trouble shoot the problem....is it a fuse or relay that has blown? Is it due to a faulty speed sensor or is the instrument cluster crapped the bed. Thoughts?

I also would like to know if the fault is in the instrument cluster itself can i go and get one from an auto recycle and just install (plug&play) or will the new/used one need to be re coded.

Help :(

#6 ·
thanks for all the input. i managed to find a place that was able to fix the circuit board>>>100 bucks and it works like new, much more reasonable than buying a new one from ford @ 800.00 plus install of who knows how much. Great job done by ProSpeedo in Calgary Alberta.

just in case anyone encounter the same problem, apparently the ford circuit board for the instrument cluster display is prone to over heating.

#9 ·
Same issue here...display is out. Good video above on what to look for and how to fix, but I can't get the cluster out of the dash. I've removed everything around it and the two screws holding it in at the bottom, but it seems like there's something else holding it in...maybe at the top? If anyone knows the trick or if there's something else keeping it in place, I'd be grateful for that insight. Thanks.

#10 ·
Yeah it is a real PITA to get the cluster out... ended up cracking a chunk off by mistake when I took mine off.

Make sure you remove that shifter cable before you try and remove the cluster. After the two bolts are off on the bottom, its just clip on the top centre. I used a paint scraper and put between the top cluster and dash. Then used a flat head screw driver and very carefully pry from the top to get it off the clip...wish I thought of that before I broke a piece off.

I had no signs of corrosion on my board. I sat there for a long while and very very carefully re flowed most of the resisters... took two attempts but works 100% now.... good luck

#11 ·
Thanks for the reply Andrew. Yeah, I finally got it out, and it turned out to be a small lip at the top of the cluster that was holding it in. As the previous video showed, mine had the same exact problem with one or two of those four transistors being loose. I was able to solder them back down and it's working fine now.

I actually took several pictures during the removal process and will see if I can get them uploaded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.