2006 Freestar with flickering lights - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 06:07   #1 (permalink)

mad 2006 Freestar with flickering lights

I have an '06 Freestar SE 3.9L, it has 92000 miles. Recently all the lights have started flickering. Never shutting off, but like a fast flicker. I have had the electrical system extensively diagnosed by both independent shops and dealers. It seams everyone just wants to replace parts rather than track down the issue.

Here's what has been done... New 65 EXT Motorcraft battery, new re manufactured alternator, new plugs, plug wires, coil pack (I had a misfire). It does have a remote start that was professionally installed 2 years ago. I did however disconnect it to see if that was it, and it was not. It is every light in the car, Dome, Dash and Exterior. I have tested the power coming into the headlight switch with a test light and the test light was flickering. So it is not the switch. The ford dealer cleaned all the grounds and there were no codes stored. These lights only flicker when the car is running. A note on the alternator, the old one tested fine but i had it replaced any way as a last ditch effort. No luck.... The dealer doesn't know whats going on, though I think the 15 year old they had working on it might not have the experience.

I do not have any modifications. Stock stereo, stock speakers. Everything in this car is stock. There is a iPhone interface that is spliced into the cigarette lighter power wires to charge my phone and play through the radio as it also broadcasts over FM. This has been there for about 1.5 years. I am baffled. Please help, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping for people who specialize in electrical diagnoses.

Thanks,
Matt
lamerem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 08:42   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2006 Freestar with flickering lights

The headlight switch doesn't just have one 12v connection. It grounds different wires through resistors that control the smart junction box. If you hold the multi-function switch back for high beams, do the flicker then too? I'd go back to the dealer that checked it out and let them know it wasn't fixed. Talk to the service manager. Don't just throw parts at it as a guess.
Old 01-16-2012, 14:16   #3 (permalink)

Re: 2006 Freestar with flickering lights

Yes the flickering continues even with the high beam switch engaged. The Dealer told me today that electrical diagnoses can get expensive starting at $98 per hour, with an unknown amount of hours needed. I simply cannot afford possibly $1000 and not know whats wrong. Any other ideas???
lamerem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar