2006 Freestar - loud radiator fan - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 22:19   #1 (permalink)

2006 Freestar - loud radiator fan

Hi,

I just purchased this van a week ago and really like it. Everything is working well and I added one can of freon as the A/C was not quite up to snuff. This was one of the duracool cans from Canadian Tire.

Anyway, only one of the two radiator fans work when the A/C is on, and it is very loud. My old pontiac van would run both fans at a lower speed and I never heard them at all. On the Freestar, I can hear that fan when I'm driving.

Any ideas on what to start with?

Thanks,
rlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 09:17   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 2006 Freestar - loud radiator fan

Not sure if both fans are supposed to come on or not. I've heard some cooling fans for Fords sound pretty loud, but that's not to say that it's not on it's way out the door. Best I can tell you is try jumping out the fans and see if both run and if the sound levels are the same. http://repairguide.autozone.com/znet...3f80235d02.gif

The two wires that go to the BEC are actually grounded to complete the circuit, so if you can take them to ground, the relays should close and the respective fans sould run.
Old 06-30-2013, 17:20   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the circuit diagram.

I did some playing under the hood, discovered the fan relays and fuses are in their own fusebox. Need to loosen two 10mm nuts to get access to the cover (for those of you that can't get the lid off).

Turns out the 40 amp fuse for the right side fan was blown. (factory tow package) So, I replaced it and both fans ran together and were quiet.

However, about 20 seconds later, the fuse blew! Then I could smell burning plastic.

Looks like I need a new fan motor. I might hook it up to a battery directly to see if that is where the smell was coming from.
Old 06-30-2013, 21:21   #4 (permalink)

Re: 2006 Freestar - loud radiator fan - UPDATE

Well, I hooked a battery up to the fan and it worked perfectly. No smell, nothing, it worked fine for at least two minutes. When I changed the fuse earlier, it blew within seconds.

So, then I proceeded to test all the relays with a battery and a multimeter. They were all working. I replaced the blown 40amp fuse, and now both fans run just fine.

The only thing I can think of, is I removed the bottom of the fan relay box, and cleaned out some mud that was in there. Maybe that was shorting out.

Both fans run right away at a quiet speed, then they speed up for a while, then shut off. The engine is nowhere near warmed up yet, and does not require cooling from the fans yet.

I am new to this van so I will just keep an eye on this and see what happens. Maybe it is supposed to be loud, but it seems odd to me. I had many vehicles over the years and they never hit high speed until the engine got really hot.
Old 07-01-2013, 19:03   #5 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Don't remember seeing it in the diagram. Sounds like a bad relay.
Old 07-17-2013, 21:43   #6 (permalink)

My fan will come on when the van runs for a min or 2 .. they are kinda loud. i think the same as you.. y the fu is it on so fast when cold..
its been like that for 3 years... but note i did have a problem in the past with broke fan blade.. verry loud with a vibration and a pain to repair.
blazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 22:09   #7 (permalink)

I am happy to report that I fixed the loud radiator fan problem. The a/c was overcharged. When I added the can of freon, my pressure gauge was not working so I blindly added the can. Well, I guess I added too much as I bled off some of the freon today (finally got around to it) and the Fan did not kick into high speed at all with the A/C on after that.

Thought I should post what happened, hope it helps somebody else with a loud rad fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar