2006 Freestar Popping Noise in the Intake Area - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 21:48   #1 (permalink)

Read 2006 Freestar Popping Noise in the Intake Area

Not really posting a question here, rather a trial and error...

I have a 2006 Ford Freestar with a 3.9L V-6.. I have had an irregular popping/thumping noise in the intake area for quite some time. This is extremely common or so I've noticed by a simple google search.

I found a TSB on this particular issue. It would seem Ford knows about the problem and says it is simply a programming error causing the Idle Air Control Valve to open and close at the incorrect time. They say a simple reprogram of the PCM with the updated software would fix the issue.

Now wait a minute, my van didn't do that new.... What does the program have to do with it, it never changed? But, I went along like a good little sheep and paid to reprogram the PCM. Guess what, it didn't make a difference. So I decided to investigate and upon unplugging the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve, low and behold the noise went away. Which brings me to my current prognoses, it must be dirty or sticky.....

I have read several blogs instructing a simple cleaning, and then several saying that is ridiculous and a mere temporary fix. So I have decided to replace it. Now in my experience with this van if it isn't Motorcraft brand, it won't last or work right. So save your self the time and frustration and order what was designed for your car, not aftermarket.

Aftermarket Brand $ 47.99
Motorcraft Brand $ 56.99
Motorcraft Brand from a reputable dealer online $ 41.00 (bought it, what a deal)

Those of you who are looking for the correct IAC valve for your Freestar or Monterey years 2004-2007 it is Motorcraft Part # CX-1771. This part fits all engines available in these model years.

Search eBay, Amazon, and Google. Got mine from eBay. I have yet to install it as it is not yet here. But, when I do I will post back the results, and hopefully it will be to say the noise is gone.
lamerem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 05:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2006 Freestar Popping Noise in the Intake Area

Thank you for the Info
Old 10-30-2012, 18:25   #3 (permalink)

Our 265,000 mile, 2005 Freestar started making this noise recently. (How recently, I don't know. The driver never heard it and I only noticed it when servicing it.) It's not a regular "burp" but it happens about every few seconds all the time that it's running. If it were at regular intervals, I would say the cam is bad or something mechanical, but maybe this IACV makes more sense.

Occasionally (Maybe once every five-ten starts), it cranks for maybe 3 seconds before starting, then there is an odd noise when it starts.

Is this IACV the thing that controls the butterflys on the front of the engine?

Does anyone have information on that TSB?

Thanks
TDIDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:49   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The IAC is "Idle Air Control". That controls the idle speed. The IMRC valve is the "Intake Runner Control valve" That's what controls the intake runners. Have you checked for codes?
Old 10-31-2012, 07:58   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
The IAC is "Idle Air Control". That controls the idle speed. The IMRC valve is the "Intake Runner Control valve" That's what controls the intake runners. Have you checked for codes?
Intake Air Control Valve is what I meant. I'm still learning these silly gasser terms. :)

I didn't check for any codes because there was no CEL, but after dealing with VWs, I should know better. LOL! They throw codes like a hurricane throws trees.
TDIDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar