2006 Freestar Tires - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 05:07   #1 (permalink)
Just bought the "dad van"

2006 Freestar Tires

Hey all...Hope everyone has had a great Holiday Season and will have a great and safe New Years tonight.

My wife and I have a 2006 Freestar Limited we bought with 30,000 miles. We just crossed 43000 miles on it and I know that sometime in the next year I will be needing to put tires on it. My question is what brand have you all put on yours and how have you liked them.

We live in NC, so nothing major with weather though I do want an all-season radial of course. I'm just curious if there's anything out there anyone has used that you know works really good on the Freestar or any tire specifically that wasn't a good fit. We all know that sometimes there are tires that just don't work with some models of vehicles even though they are the right size.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from all...

Vince
ve14326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2010, 20:00   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 2006 Freestar Tires

You can't go wrong with a set of Michelin's. Depending on your price category, and with minimal to non existent winter conditions Goodyear Assurance ComforTred is the one I'd go with. Great mileage (with proper rotations of course), and less expensive than a similar Michelin tire and just as good in the rain. I find Michelin's somewhat better in light to moderate snow conditions though.

For low priced brands, I suggest Kumho. They offer a good price to mile ratio, and are more of a summer biased all season.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:49   #3 (permalink)
Just bought the "dad van"

I rotate the tires and do the oil change religiously every 5000 miles as specified by the book and recommended by the dealer. Always keep my air pressure around 38-40 (right in the middle of my cold psi and max range). Always been my method and my tire wear has always been good. Used to have a 2000 Ford Focus with Goodyear Integrity tires and I pushed 80,000 miles out of those. The dealer was amazed and said he'd never seen someone get the virtual no tire wear that I get.

I was really looking at the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max. Been reading reviews on the Discount tire Web Site and everyone who owns minivans seems to hate the ComforTred. I have no problem with spending the money for the Michelins, but not willing to waste money if I can get something similar or even better for less.

The Freestar is what my wife drives and the vehicle our 6 month old only child is in most of the time. The cost really is a non-issue in this case. I want to put the safest thing on the vehicle I can.

Thanks guys!
ve14326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:01   #4 (permalink)
canuck

Pirelli is also a good choice of tire for no winter climates. They offer a lot of tread contact with the road. Continental is also a good non-winter tire, even though it's rated as an all-season, but my G6 doesn't like driving in light snow with the continentals.

If money is no concern, I'd go with the Michelin Hydroedge. 90K tire warranty and a GREAT tire in the rain. I inherited two used tires that I run on my Taurus in the summer months (I use winter tires in the winter) They hold their own even at 30% tread left.

DiscountTire is a good choice, check with the sponsor on this site for any current deals, and even what he recommends!
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 01-19-2010, 22:11   #5 (permalink)

I only got 49k out of stock tires. I rotated every 8k and did have 4 wheel alignment done. I now have Michelin Pilots and they seem good so far. Now 66k on the clock. I just think most OEM tires are average , in my experience with the 5 new cars I have had.
jcasaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:26   #6 (permalink)
canuck

OEM tires are getting better, only because of consumer demand. The problem I find in Canada, is that manufacturers are putting low cost higher mileage tires on vehicles, but the problem is that they're USELESS in the winter after two seasons and one either has to get winter tires, or buy another GOOD set of all seasons. Most OEM tires don't have much as far as a biting edge or aggressive tread goes. Premium cars sure, you get what you pay for afterall. I expected better on my Pontiac G6 GT. It came with low end Continental Tires (performance all season). I had them replaced last month with General Grabber UHP tires and they are a night and day difference in every respect. Best of all, they're the same price as the OEM Continental tires. I can only guess that manufacturers shop around for a volume discount, and if that said manufacturer can handle the production volume of a certain tire.
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar