2006 Windstar rear brakes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 14:12   #1 (permalink)

2006 Windstar rear brakes

OK, new problem on another of our vans. Replaced the rear brake pads today. Cleaned up the slide pins, lubed them and installed new slide pin boots and pad slides. Turned the piston in using "the cube" and they both went right in, although one side went in and stopped turning and the other side went in and kept turning.

Now, the rear pads are not moving.

I have bled the brakes, I have tried setting the park brake and still no love. Even setting the park brake the rotors are still loose so the rear brakes are just not working.

Is there a magic word that I didn't say? I have looked at the Autozone site and it was less than helpful. I just can't imagine why nothing is working back there.

But it's only on the side that turned in and stopped. The other side works.
TDIDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 18:20   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 2006 Windstar rear brakes

I'm pretty sure they're supposed to have a bottom. I never had one keep turning, I'm wondering if the adjuster is stripped.
Old 04-10-2013, 19:52   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSkinner View Post
I'm pretty sure they're supposed to have a bottom. I never had one keep turning, I'm wondering if the adjuster is stripped.
The odd thing is that the one that keeps turning works fine, it's the one that does bottom that doesn't work.

The side that works had a stuck slide and those pads were completely worn out.

The side that isn't working, may have never been working, or at least not working much because one pad on that side wasn't even worn through the tapered parts.
Old 04-11-2013, 18:31   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Try getting a cap or plug for the side that works and see if the other side moves. If you can, get someone else to push the pedal so that you can watch and see if it moves and if it moves smoothly.
Old 04-11-2013, 18:52   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSkinner View Post
Try getting a cap or plug for the side that works and see if the other side moves. If you can, get someone else to push the pedal so that you can watch and see if it moves and if it moves smoothly.
Basically, I had that. I set the parking brake so the side that works (Passenger side) wouldn't move, then I stepped on the brake pedal and the drivers side didn't move. New caliper is on it and it works fine. I opened up the old one and saw nothing out of the ordinary, but I have never opened up a caliper with a parking brake integrated, so I may have missed something obvious. I have already turned in the core and I didn't take pictures.

I got the reman caliper from Ford because the price was just a couple dollars more than NAPA and I have an inherent distrust of autoparts store reman parts.

The book said that to bleed it, you mount it with just the piston side pad on and a rag on the other side and you push the brake, then you have to turn the piston back in. I just mounted it, hooked up the line and let it gravity bleed. Once I had fluid out the bleeder, I then bled it with my bleeder hose.

My bleeder hose is an 8 inch piece of clear plastic tube that I have tied in a loop. As long as the loop is up, you can slowly push and release the brake pedal and the loop holds the fluid so it doesn't suck the air back in. Well, I noticed that before I changed calipers, I could only give the pedal a short stroke, otherwise, it would suck all of the fluid back through my hose and I would get air. So after the new caliper was on, I could give it full strokes and it would only suck the fluid back a little bit.

I don't know what the problem was inside the caliper, but it was night and day difference.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:00   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Think you should get at least a bleeder hose with a none return valve if you are bleeding the brakes on your own rather than the hit or miss method you are using just now .That will eliminate any doubt about air in system and let you look else where if still having problems .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:50   #7 (permalink)

This hose set-up works like a check valve (AKA non-return valve). It lets air and fluid out but doesn't allow air back in. It isn't hit or miss and it has no moving parts to clog and fail. As long as things are working right with the brake system, it works flawlessly. And now I know that if it sucks back all of the fluid in the hose, that I have a problem, so it's a troubleshooting tool as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar