4.2 slow oil leak - bottom of oil pan wet with oil - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 18:16   #1 (permalink)

4.2 slow oil leak - bottom of oil pan wet with oil

Hi all -

My 06 LTD with 53k on it now has a slow oil leak. It only drips 1 drop every week or so, but I am thinking the leak could get worse. Are the 4.2's prone to leaking? Could it just be a valve cover gasket? I am having trouble seeing where it could be coming from.....anyone's thoughts or experience is appreciated.

Regards
Jack
jcasaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 17:49   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 4.2 slow oil leak - bottom of oil pan wet with oil

How much oil do you add say within 1000miles? A 'drop' to me isn't noticeable as my driveway would soak that right up into the pavement and I'd never know!

If you have the means, jack up the front end (place on axle stands in appropriate place), and check around the oil pan for a gasket leak. It starts out slow and can increase without much warning. My taurus had that problem and it was so slow and a few weeks later I put half a quart of oil in every second day (only drove 17miles a day!) and found out that it was the gasket. If it was a valve cover gasket you can check the front, and the rear by removing the cowl (as if you were to replace the spark plugs). It's easier to check the valve covers than under neath, but I'm sure the problem lies somewhere underneath. It could even be something as simple as an oil filter that's tight, but wasn't threaded properly so the seal is a bit loose in one area causing a slow leak.

Another thing you can do before checking for leaks is to add some UV dye to the oil. Don't add much of course, but it is available at auto part stores. If you have a trouble light, buy a UV bulb and you'll be able to narrow your search much faster.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar