'93 Aerostar hard to start when cold - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 00:33   #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb '93 Aerostar hard to start when cold

Hello everybody, just bought a '93 Aerostar XL for the ridiculous price of $350. It has the fuel injected 3.0 and runs and drives great, but as expected for a vehicle of this price, it does have some issues. The biggest problem is that it's very difficult to start when the (air) temperature drops below freezing. Fires briefly, but dies repeatedly regardless of how much throttle is applied. Have to pump the hell out of the throttle and keep turning it over numerous times until it eventually starts. Once it's warmed up it runs perfectly and starts easy. I suspect it's not getting enough fuel. Reminds me of my carbureted '85 F150 with a bad choke that I have to prime with some starting fluid to get started when it's cold. Does fuel injection have some kind of choke system? Could the injectors be dirty? I'm thinking of giving it the Seafoam treatment to begin with, but never used Seafoam on a fuel injected vehicle, so I'm not sure how to go about it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Renostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2009, 08:25   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: '93 Aerostar hard to start when cold

With fuel injection, pumping the gas pedal has no effect on adding extra fuel when starting. If you crank without pumping it, you'll get the same effect. The intake air temp sensor or engine coolant sensor could be off causing the problem. If you get a Haynes or Chilton manual, you'll get a lot more than how to check the sensors. you can check for codes to see if there are any by using this method and post back what you find. Ford Ranger/Bronco II EEC-IV Testing
Old 12-09-2009, 19:32   #3 (permalink)
canuck

'93.... crank position sensor perhaps?

As for seafoam, you can use it just as you would on any vehicle. Newer vehicles it's best to use a vacuum line (brake booster line works best) to suck in about 1/4 can of Seafoam. Some people allow the engine to suck up enough until the engine stalls out on it's own. You don't need to do that on newer engines, as you'll have to crank the begeeze out of it before it'll start (and smoke like crazy!). You can be adventurous and use the vac line from other accessories (cruise control perhaps - if equipped). As long as it finds a way into the engine, that's all that matters. I still find the brake booster line works the best
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 23:07   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the help fellas. I'll start by giving it the Seafoam treatment, then check my Chilton's (repair manual was included in the sale). Pumping the gas pedal before turning it over seems to make a huge difference in how fast it starts when cold, but I'll try starting it without pumping first and see how it goes. Thanks again for your quick responses to my questions.
Old 12-14-2009, 21:15   #5 (permalink)

Just a quick update: rtg143 is right, pumping the pedal makes no difference in starting the vehicle. Did the Seafoam treatment by pouring it down the brake booster vacuum hose, seems to have a positive effect; still won't start first try, but has improved dramatically, now starts up on the third try with a little assistance from some judicious feathering of the throttle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar