95 Windstar engine cuts off at highway speeds. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 11:33   #1 (permalink)

Smile 95 Windstar engine cuts off at highway speeds.

My 95 Windstar LX 3.8 cuts off at highway speeds. If I let it sit for 2 or 3 mins it starts and sometimes runs for a couple of mins and sometimes for an hour then does it again. It also cuts off at long traffic lights.

It has codes set for too lean mixture but has been running for over 5000 miles that way. It also has a code set for speed sensor, but that to as been ok for the same mileage.

2 new codes are now set. 1131 and 1151. Both say, "Fuel air metering".

What component controls the fuel air metering?

Also, does a bad speed sensor affect the cruise control, (it stopped working) or just the transmission shifting?

Thanks to any responder.

vamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2009, 14:33   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 95 Windstar engine cuts off at highway speeds.

Sounds like the Mass AirFlow Sensor (MAF) has bit the dust.

The Throttle Position Sensor and/or Idle Speed Controller (TPS & IAC) can both affect transmission shifting (commonly in and out of over drive). In some cases if you're careful the IAC can be cleaned with carb cleaner. It's just as easy to swap it out for a new one (about $40 for each sensor). I'm not positive but I believe the MAF can run close to $80 and it's generally located on the air intake tube going before the throttle body.

As the vehicle hasn't been running properly for 5K, you may want to consider a tune up with new plugs (gaped correctly) and wires.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:12   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, I pulled the plug on the MAF and the engine smoothed out. Do I really need it?

The plugs are ok except they have a white deposit that doesn't affect the gap. I think it's from running too lean a mixture. But the van doesn't ping and has plenty of power so with too lean mixture I must be using less gas.

I used to love working on cars, but these days there are too many black boxes. It's not fun anymore.
Old 05-05-2009, 13:36   #4 (permalink)
canuck

Blame the black boxes on emissions. More items are added almost yearly, to help reduce emissions even if it's an extremely slight reduction.

The MAF has a thin wire that heats up. The air rushing past it cools it. The computer measures how much current it takes to keep the wire at a constant temperature. Some MAFs have a temp sensor. Once the computer knows the outside temp and the "wind chill" it can determine the density of the air. It uses air density to calculate how much fuel to deliver.

An optimum A/F ratio is around 14.7:1 The MAF helps control that so you get better mileage and reduced emissions at the same time. I'd get it replaced.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:50   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. I could use better mileage as this van gets 14.5 on the highway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar