Ford Forums banner

98 Ford Windstar 3.8L Have a few questions

5K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Sterling_Six 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok first lets start by telling you guys and gals what we have,
a 98 ford windstar 3.8L V6 ok now we had the check engine light on and it came up with codes P0353,P0351 and P0302. We replaced the Coil pack on sept.19th and the code P0351 went away, the codes P0351,P0302 and P0303 came up, on the 20th we replaced spark plugs and wires cleared the codes the engine runs with out any problems now but when we took it for a test run driving normal its fine but if you step on it hard the engine light comes on it comes up with code P0304 witch is Cylinder 4 missfire my question is what or why would it do that? my other question is there is a poping sound when you make turns what can I do to fix it? forgot to ask what would cause oil to be getting in the coolent resivor (don't mind my spelling)(, if I spell anything wrong I try not to)

#2 ·
Ok first lets start by telling you guys and gals what we have,
a 98 ford windstar 3.8L V6 ok now we had the check engine light on and it came up with codes P0353,P0351 and P0302. We replaced the Coil pack on sept.19th and the code P0351 went away, the codes P0351,P0302 and P0303 came up, on the 20th we replaced spark plugs and wires cleared the codes the engine runs with out any problems now but when we took it for a test run driving normal its fine but if you step on it hard the engine light comes on it comes up with code P0304 witch is Cylinder 4 missfire my question is what or why would it do that? my other question is there is a poping sound when you make turns what can I do to fix it? forgot to ask what would cause oil to be getting in the coolent reservoir (don't mind my spelling)(, if I spell anything wrong I try not to)

:hit::hit:

Hello and good day:
May I ask first ... Did you or a Shop do the Repairs to clear the OBDII codes? If you did ... did you replace the Coil Pack with a New one or a Used on from a Junk Yard?

I would check all of the Wires from the Coil Pack to each Plug...Makeing sure that each wire is setting, and connected correctly to each plug. You may still have a loose connection. I would then disconnect the Neg wire from the Battery, and reset the PCM to clear the codes. If the CEL comes back on you still may have a bad Coil Pack.

The Clunking noise you are hear is a CV Joint going Bad...That is a Classic Sound you describe.

Now the more Serious Problem...The Oil in the Water/Antifreeze Resvior...This is a defiant sign of a Gasket Leak in the Cylinder Head or Block...Check your Radiator for other sign...A light Brown Milky Sluggish mix of Oil, and AntiFreeze...Check your Oil Dip Stick too!!
If this is the case you may have some serious repairs to do or a lot of out of pocket expensive to take to the shop. would change the oil and flush/fill the radiator. Then go ahead and see if it happens again. If you have a cracked, block/head or a blown head gasket, there should be more symptoms than that. You would be overheating and your exhaust would be white or blue. When you open your oil filler, often a little steam will come out. When you check your oil, it will look like chocolate milk instead of regualr oil. A compression or a leak-down test should let you know if your head gasket is blown. Pulling the plugs and looking at them will also let you know.

I would not advise you to continue to Drive your Van till this problem is resolved.

#3 · (Edited)
Brand New Coil pack all plugs and wires are on secure, I did the repaires myself. Like I said if you drive it normal no check engine light if you drive it like a race car LOL the check engine light comes on with miss fire cylinder4 all though when changing old plugs the plugs in cylinders 2 and 3 were carboned up (really black) although as I said before it came up with codes P0351, P0302 and P0303 the 302 and 303 are cylinders 2 and 3 missfire codes the other has to do with somthing that either controls the coil or the coil itself Non of these codes are showing up as of now, its been two days now and yes we still drive it waiting till tax time to get it looked at to see if we need a new head gasket. I forgot we also did a seafoam treatment but didn't put any seafoam in the oil don't want it causing more problems there is no loss of water/antifreeze no loss of oil did not check radiator but will today oil is checked often needs an oil change but other then it being dark in color it looks fine no wateryness or anything that sugguests coolant leaking into it. It just seems to be leaking oil in the coolant. We will find out if coolant is leaking in the oil when we do the oil change I will let you guy and gals know as soon as I know. The van does not over heat no smoke at all comes out of the exhaust, Very little oil sits on top of the coolant in the resvor.
thanks for all the info I will double check the wire for cylinder 4 cause thats the only code that comes up but only if you hot rod it around the funny thing is now that we fix the other codes theres no loss in power at all even when it said cylinder 4 was missing plenty of get up and go

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.