Ford Forums banner

99 Windstar wacky spiking instrument gauges

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  CatSkinner 
#1 ·
All the gauges swing wildly, gas, temp, tachometer, etc.
I have read about this and there seems to be a couple of possible causes to this from past years.
Does anyone know what the final resolution to this much written about symptom was?
Is it a faulty instrument cluster needing replacement (broken solder) and then re-programming at dealer seems to be the answer?

#2 ·
Don't remember hearing about this, but the grey matter doesn't quite have the edge it had a few beers ago... It sounds like the instrument cluster\module, but I'm not sure about the programming. I'd start by looking for loose connections, grounds, shorts, etc., before spending any money, though.

#5 ·
do i have to worry about lock out or hooking up to shop computer when repairing solder joints on ribbon? i have read threads where a guy was locked out when he replaced gauge assembly, so he reinstalled old one and still had issues….any tips. thanks,joe

#6 ·
Shouldn't be anything more than if you disconnect the battery for a while. I know with my Pontiac, if I disconnect the battery for an extended period of time, I have to start the car with the master key. Owner's manual will probably tell you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.