Aerostar difficult start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2005, 18:30   #1 (permalink)

confused Aerostar difficult start

93 Aerostar having problems cold starting after not starting it for a few days or parked on an uphill (nose up). Once started and running for about 10 minutes gives no problems for the rest of the day.
When starting cold, gives lots of noise and kinda backfiring. (My mechanic called it hydraulicing-he's not sure what's causing the problem). After about 30 seconds of cranking, it will start with a cloud of smoke out the tailpipe.
First 5 or 10 minutes it usually drives rough and may stall at a light or stop sign followed by another rough start. This time when shifting from Park to Drive, and applying gas , van stalls again and this may happen a bunch of times.
If van is parked overnight on a uphill, it is much more difficult to start if it even starts at all.

This problems all started after a ran through a huge puddle about 8 months ago and the van immediately stalled and could not get it started. Got it towed to a shop and it's never run the same since. At that time all the vacuum lines blew out but I think that's all that really happened. Something else must of gotten damaged or some sensor shorted or whatever.

Any suggestions??

1993 Aerostar, 3.0 litre automatic, 215,000 KM

Thanks
Aerostarmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2006, 09:51   #2 (permalink)
awvickers

Re: Aerostar difficult start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerostarmark
93 Aerostar having problems cold starting after not starting it for a few days or parked on an uphill (nose up). Once started and running for about 10 minutes gives no problems for the rest of the day.
When starting cold, gives lots of noise and kinda backfiring. (My mechanic called it hydraulicing-he's not sure what's causing the problem). After about 30 seconds of cranking, it will start with a cloud of smoke out the tailpipe.
First 5 or 10 minutes it usually drives rough and may stall at a light or stop sign followed by another rough start. This time when shifting from Park to Drive, and applying gas , van stalls again and this may happen a bunch of times.
If van is parked overnight on a uphill, it is much more difficult to start if it even starts at all.

This problems all started after a ran through a huge puddle about 8 months ago and the van immediately stalled and could not get it started. Got it towed to a shop and it's never run the same since. At that time all the vacuum lines blew out but I think that's all that really happened. Something else must of gotten damaged or some sensor shorted or whatever.

Any suggestions??

1993 Aerostar, 3.0 litre automatic, 215,000 KM

Thanks
I am having the same kind of problems with my 1993 Aerostar. I did not have those problems until the water pump stop working properly. When the pump stop working the engine overheated.
I just curious to know if you made any progress with your problem.

Thank you,

awvickers@yahoo.com
awvickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 23:35   #3 (permalink)

Re: Aerostar difficult start

Quote:
Originally Posted by awvickers
I am having the same kind of problems with my 1993 Aerostar. I did not have those problems until the water pump stop working properly. When the pump stop working the engine overheated.
I just curious to know if you made any progress with your problem.

Thank you,

awvickers@yahoo.com

My mechanic ended up relacing mass air flow sensor, dist. cap and rotor. and it seemed to fix the problem.
Aerostarmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar