Brake light problem on '02 windstar - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2005, 10:57   #1 (permalink)

Brake light problem on '02 windstar

Is anybody else having a problem with the brake light not going off when the van is parked and turned off? We have had a problem where the brake lights will not go off and ends up draining the battery. Ford can't seem to find a problem.

Thanks,
Mel
mel1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2005, 11:54   #2 (permalink)

Re: Brake light problem on '02 windstar

My 01 did the same thing. When I parked, I would pull up on the brake pedal with my foot and the lights would go out. So I got some WD40 and sprayed the crap out of the switch and pedal pivot points and the problem went away. Good Luck!
kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:15   #3 (permalink)
Al_Cad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerk
My 01 did the same thing. When I parked, I would pull up on the brake pedal with my foot and the lights would go out. So I got some WD40 and sprayed the crap out of the switch and pedal pivot points and the problem went away. Good Luck!
I have the same problem with my 2000 Windstar. The brake lights not only
stay on when parked it stays on while driving. When I pull the brake pedal back it goes off. I'll try Kerk's idea.

Also, this problem started a few weeks after replacing my front brake pads and shoes. Could this be related?
Old 02-09-2006, 23:25   #4 (permalink)
Unregistered

I did the common sense thing to do.....I replaced the switch next to the brake pedal.... it took 20 seconds to do, (without any tools), and everything is fine....
Old 02-09-2006, 23:47   #5 (permalink)
Unregistered

You might try repacing the switch.....seems like common sense to me. It takes a few seconds and no tools needed.
Old 02-10-2006, 00:48   #6 (permalink)
ShouldaGotaSiennaInstead

Had same problem with my '01 Windfart. It really pissed me off when it killed the battery and I was 180 miles away from home. Did not figure out that it was the brake lights for some time. So I decided to do the common sense thing....I replaced the brake light switch next to the brake pedal. It took a few seconds and no tools needed. has been fine for over a year now.
Aug223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:32   #7 (permalink)

I am replacing the brake light switch today, 2nd time on this 2000 Windstar, because of this very problem. The temp solution is to lift the brake pedal when you exit your car, but no guarantees the lights stay off later. Love my windstar as much as I hate my windstar.
zandermanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 15:07   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerk View Post
fyi - I still have the 01 Windstar and this problem never came back (knock on wood!).
kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 14:24   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerk View Post
fyi - I still have the 01 Windstar and this problem never came back (knock on wood!).
Just tried this trick on an 02 Windstar. So far so good. Thanks for the idea!
tom9j34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar